Bonding Concrete Deck

440dodge440

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 7, 2015
South Central PA
I have a concrete deck around the pool. It is 4' each side, 6' at the back, and about 8' in the front, where it joins with the concrete porch of the house. The 8' at the front is almost entirely split up by a drain channel. We are looking to put a larger roof over the porch, which would likely involve removing part of the very front of the pool deck in order to put in a footer, as I don't believe the pool deck is below the frost line. I'm wondering what the chances are of disturbing any bonding loop. Would it be likely that the deck would be bonded 8' away? I realize anything is possible, but I'm asking if anyone knows what the typical route of the bonding wire is....

Usually runs the most direct route from the equipment pad to the pool than loops around. The deck could be bonded ant any point along that route, my deck is bonded near the equipment pad but they could just as easily chosen to bond nearer the pool. I would not get too concerned with it if they hit it while cutting the footing they can carefully chip around it and even splice in a piece with approved clamps if it gets completely cut. Would cost at most $15 to repair with parts available at most hardware stores. I think the only precaution I would take is cut the footing hole slightly smaller than needed initially just incase you do hit you can do a more surgical excavation from that point to expose enough copper to attach to. If in the very unlikely event you hit it the edge of the footing that will just be bad luck and you will have to make the footing slightly larger to do the repair.

Do you know how the deck is bonded? In very rough terms pre 2005 most pools had a single thick copper wire running around the pool about a foot out which was connected to the pool structure and equipment. Post 2005 most pools in the west have a rebar grid under he deck within 3 feet of the pool and the wire round the pool. The rest of the country varies depending on local pratice.

So it's doubtful the grid is that far out. Try and figure out where the bond wire goes that connects the pool and equipment and avoid cutting it. If you do cut it repair it with listed clamps screw clamps.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.