intex sand filter pump, low backwash and rinse pressure? Filter basket water flow..

I have an intex ultra frame pool, with the dual intake setup into a sand filter pump, i believe the 2800 gallon per hour version + the 7000 salt filter system..

Its only a few months old.. had been doing fine, backwash periodically and as recent as yesterday (briefly).

Last 2 days i noticed the water level in the filter basket was getting low and the return stream seamed weaker and the suction on one of the intakes was weaker or nill too (i have one plugged, the other open into the skimmer wall basket). I also appeared to have some bubbles in the intake tubes off the Y area that goes to the pump.

So.. yesterday I shut things down, released the valve on the filter basket to let the water go back up, also took off the plug on the one intake so both were open, briefly backwashed then rinsed till any brown was gone from the stream.. turned everything back on.. pressure felt good on the intake..

But i'd put the intake plug back on and the outflow on the return diminished and eventually the basket would lower in water level till i had the same issue.

So this morning I checked things again (same low pressure on return/intake situation) but this time when i went to do the backwash, it barely trickled out.. rinse came out slightly better but nothing like it should.

This is my first time around with a pool and pumps, so i'm sure i'm missing something or maybe something (spider gasket ? read on here) has gone bad, but its only months old.
I know I should have checked the sand pump pressure on backwash but i didnt do that yet, though i did look on normal "filter" and it seemed to be in the green (10?).

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks in advance

I think is a Suction air leak...

Pool School - Suction Side Air Leaks

8,400 gal 3K GPH pump, SWG CG-28669, TF100 test kit, speed stir, K-1766 Taylor salt test.

The corner stone of TFP
Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

Thanks, So basically there could be an air leak at the wall intake or maybe at the filter basket area, a gasket leaking etc, allowing air in, which causes it to drop water level and now the sand pump side doesnt have enough pressure to backwash/filter/rinse suddenly? I'll have to check these areas later today.

A suction side leak won't drip, unless the fitting is loose enough that it leaks water when turned off. Check every joint where hoses connect with a little shaving creme or soapy water dabbed on the joint with the pump running. Watch for the soap to be sucked into the fitting. If you see it being sucked in, that is your suction side leak. Seal the leak with plumber's rubber tape.

Also if you vacuumed up leaves or debris check the hose for blockages.

The dual intake is new to me, but from what I have read so far you are supposed to keep both lines open for regular filtering, shouldn't you also keep both lines open to backwash?

Well, it turned out it was simpler than expected.

I had zero pressure when i capped one of the two ports (i find that if i dont cap one of them, the skimmer doesnt have enough suction to work effectively is why i do this and others have said they do as well)...

Zero pressure at the line on the gauge on the sand pump..

Take cap off, up to 2 or 3 (i think this is normal level in the green)..

I decided to take the hose cap adapter off the one for the skimmer.. i found that there was debris clogging it, even though before putting my hand over it, it felt like there was pressure..

Cleared the debris and the pressure when capped is back to 2-3 and backwash flows normal too.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.