First Post, First Question

May 31, 2009
Houston, TX
I am in the process of reading Pool School and learning as much as I can about BBB....Needless to say, there will be more Q's like this.

I have seen in several places that I should add clorine/bleach, etc. to the skimmer in the evenings. I typically run my pump during the day and it shuts down in the early part of the evening (something like 10 to 6). I am assuming that the system should be running while I am doing this, correct? Should I break my timing up into a day shift and a night shift?

As I glanced over the BBB write up, I saw that it just said to ad bleach with the chlorine. First question that came to mind is how much? Am I getting ahead of myself, will this be explained as I continue to read?

sS

Hey, Scuba,

Welcome to the forum. We love questions....ask away! :lol:

scubasteve said:
I am in the process of reading Pool School and learning as much as I can about BBB....Needless to say, there will be more Q's like this.

I have seen in several places that I should add clorine/bleach, etc. to the skimmer in the evenings. Some, not all. of the chlorine in a pool is consumed by sunlight. Adding it at night protects the chlorine a little better but it is not mandatory to do this.

I typically run my pump during the day and it shuts down in the early part of the evening (something like 10 to 6). I am assuming that the system should be running while I am doing this, correct? Absolutely, all chemistry should be added with the pump running

Should I break my timing up into a day shift and a night shift? Well, that's not a bad idea for a couple of reasons but it's not mandatory.

As I glanced over the BBB write up, I saw that it just said to ad bleach with the chlorine. Chlorine is the ingredient in bleach that you want to sanitize your pool. So you would simply add bleach....the chlorine is in there

First question that came to mind is how much? Am I getting ahead of myself, will this be explained as I continue to read? Chlorine is the sanitizer in your pool that kills bacteria and algae. However, in so doing it is consumed. Therefore, chlorine needs to be replenished daily in a pool. How much depends on a variety of factors...The size of your pool, etc. Pool School will help you understand more. The ABC'as of Pool Water Chemistry is a great place to start.

Keep asking questions.....All of us here started from zero. :-D

sS

Hello and welcome! :wave:

As far as how much bleach, you can check out the pool calculator in my siggy to find out how much. Just punch in your gallonage, what your results are now and where you want them to be and then hit calculate. Add however much it tells you, no more, no less. Easy peasy!

As duraleigh mentioned, read up on pool school. Especially the Chlorine/CYA chart. That will tell you where your chlorine needs to be in relationship to your current CYA levels.

Hey scubasteve,

Dave & Casey got you started good. And, yes, ask plenty of questions. That's how we all got started.

When you get a moment, please scrunch up your sig to reduce it to the 5-line limit. :wink:

Welcome to the forum :wave:

Thanks for both the replies.

I just finished reading Pool School, well most of it 8) . And went and did a "quick" test of the pool. I don't have exact numbers since I have been using the strips and taking samples to the local shop (looks like I'll be getting my own little test kit pretty quick).

Heres the results: (again they are general, no specific numbers)
FC: 3
PH: somewhere between 6.8 & 7.2
TA: somewhere between 40 & 80
CYA: looks to be below 30

A couple weeks ago I had an algae spike and I am over it. But I have had to stay on top of it to keep things under control since then. If I take my eyes off the pool, the algae is just waiting for the chance to jump right back in. I think I need to get some stabilzer to bring my CYA up to the 30-50 range it should be. And yes, my PH and TA is low....I'll be tending to that as well.

sS

duraleigh said:
Hi, Casey,

Easy peasy!
I haven't heard that in forever. I cannot recall if my Mom used to say it or I used to hear it in school. For whatever reason, it really struck a chord when I read it....Thanks!

You're welcome! :mrgreen: Nice to know it brought back good memories!
:-D

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.