Ever break a horse to ride? This one is self-broke...

NWMNMom

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Apr 8, 2007
Waaay NW MN
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
The strangest thing happened. My DH and I brought our youngest over to my folks' place for the weekend to do a bit of fishing and I got to spend some time with my horse (15 yr Thoroughbred gelding) I keep my horse there b/c my DH hates the thought of fencing any of our land that can be used for crops! My folks are all set up for horses and animals - they have a couple of young Saddlebred/QH (2.5yrs) that are now ready to go under saddle. Since early May, we have put saddle and tack on these two a few times just so they can get used to it, once leaning on the filly's back to let her feel some weight. THATS IT.

Well this weekend while I was riding my Shadow, we tacked up the filly/mare, Garnet and just let her follow me around (they are like peas in a pod anyway) She was great getting tacked up as usual as she is a sweet natured filly/mare and all of the horses are babied ENDLESSLY by my mom, who treats them like children. My DH and Dad decided to go the next step, and first leaned on her back, then actually sat sideways on her - ready to jump off if she bucked or got nervous. Nope, she just sat there like nothings happening. Ok, so he sat on her...nothing, we took the lead and walked her around with him on, nothing - she's just fine. I ponied her up to my saddle and she went all over with him on her back. We did a bit of neck reining, she picked up on what we wanted right away and was awesome. So my Dad gets off, my DH gets on (6'2" tall) and she's just fine with that. I felt comfortable enough to even let my 14 yr old get on and ride her. (we did keep the lead attached just in case) I couldn't believe it. I had to ask my mom if she had been acting weird or if she had someone over to work with her. Nope.

Believe it or not. Wow. They just saved $300 having to send her to the trainer to get broke. Too bad the other horse, Tawney the gelding, IS a pill and will need extra work. That one is a real handfull so I guess it evens out. But still, bonus!

What an incredible story! Do you suppose that she just noticed other horses letting people ride then and understood? Of course being shown such kindness could have a lot to do with it also. What a blessing that she won't have to go through the training!

Well, its not all wine and roses, but she is a good girl for almost everything. She does not in fact like a back cinch used on the roping saddle and WILL buck when that is on, but other than that - she continues to ride sweetly and is learning neck reining bit by bit (no pun intended!) My folks really love the horses and treat them like children so that IS helpful.

However, all of the horses there are stuck to each other to the point of being buddy sour, so you have to lead or trailer them away from the other horses completely OR ride with the other non-broke horses ponied up unless you want to have them run right back to the herd. Its very distracting. My 15yr old TB gelding has fallen right in with all that too and it urks me a bit that he needs reminding about good ground manners if his buddy is nearby and not saddled up too. They are spoiled and loved but really do need to have a good solid structured behavioral policy to stick to - the horses then know what to expect from people and therefore so does the person who gets on the saddle.

Really experience is important, but not everything -but training is. Oh, she has had her moments since but she is still very good. The problem I see with my folks is that they don't spend a lot of saddle time on any of them, so those horses often need re-training or refresher. Too bad, I can see a nice pleasure riding or trail horse in that little mare if she gets proper exposure. I have a 15 yo TB gelding who was a mounted posse rescue horse and trained to the 9's, but lately he can be hot at times as well and sometimes his ground manners just are aweful because they are treated like pets out there at my folk's farm, but rarely given any saddle time or discipline. He will be coming home to my farm this coming spring.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.