Newbie to doing pool chemicals -not holding chlorine/cloudy water..help!

Aug 1, 2016
Canada
Hi!

We've had a pool for 8 years and we've never had any problems. We did the 15 minute workweek kit and cleaned the pool without ever having issue. This year the pool has never been clear. It is cloudy all of the time. There is no green or yellow algae visible, but when I take a water sample, the pool doesn't hold the chlorine and I cannot see the bottom of the pool. I've tried to get local people to help, but they seem more keen on selling chemicals that never seem to rectify the problem. I am turning to this forum for desperate help! I will warn you that I will need step by step help because I have never done much with the chemicals before, my husband used to do that. Anyway, I sure would appreciate the expertise of the people on this forum. Here is my pool information:

Volume: 72481 litres
surface:Vinyl
filter:Sand
Type:Inground
temperature: 21.11 Celsius

Test Results

Free Chlorine: 1ppm
Total Chlorine: 1ppm
Combined Chlorine: 0ppm
PH: 7.2
Hardness: 280 ppm
Alkalinity (w/ stabilizer): 134 ppm
cyanuric Acid: 20ppm
Total Disolved Solids:1400 ppm

It was recommended that I add Nu-Blu, which I did, but it didn't help.

I would be so grateful for any help that you can give. Thank you so much!

Welcome!

I'm not sure very useful Pool Math page from above can be switched to metric system. If it cannot you'd just need to convert back and forth using Google :). Your pool volume is 19,000 gal, please put this and pump / filter model in your signature to help whoever helps you find it.

TFP recommends 2 test kits for testing water: TF-100 or K2006. Strips or pool store results have proven to be inaccurate to be of any use. TFP recommends liquid chlorine (bleach) for chlorination almost exclusively. No solid form of chlorine is generally recommended due to its side effects.

If you don't have either of the kits I'd place an order for one of them ASAP, it's impossible to do anything with the pool blindly.

The rest of the process depends on if you can partially drain / refill your pool: sometimes it's more effective to drain severely imbalanced water instead of going through hoops trying to balance it. Just to keep you afloat I'd add 2 one gal jugs of 8.25% bleach to the pool and keep adding at least 1/2 jug of the same bleach daily until your test kit arrives. Bleach needs to be plain: not scented or splashless.

As you can see you'd need to stock up on bleach (10 one gal jugs just to begin) and also buy 1 - 2 one gal jugs of Muriatic Acid (MA). Your pool store might even carry both with higher concentration. Please make sure you don't buy anything else there.

Please do not add anything but bleach from this point on unless advised by someone from the forum and remove any chemical dispenser you might have from the water. TFP method requires commitment :). When your test kit arrives please post back so the actual troubleshooting can start.

Does your pump / filter work as expected? Was the filter cleaned recently?

There are people here who are willing to help, provided that you commit to learning the TFPC system and do a bit of reading first. Your situation is very common and can probably be fixed with some initial effort. Once you get it fixed, TFPC is a very easy, predictable and reliable system, and will give you much safer and cleaner water than you thought possible.

This thread is good opening reading (just the first page need be read): TFPC for Beginners

You can't do TFPC without a reliable test kit, and sadly they're a bit more expensive in Canada. You will need the K-2006 kit (about $200) and I suggest ordering a 60 ml bottle of R-0871 FAS-DPD Titrating Reagent ($40) as well. Here is the order form: View attachment LowryCanadaResidentialOrderForm2016.pdf

TFTestKits does not ship to Canada, but if you know someone in the US who would buy it for you and then forward it to you, then buy the TF100 with XL option and you can get started for half as much money. TFTestkits.net

Get the test kit ordered right away. There is very little anyone can do with test strip or pool $tore results. You will save back the cost of the test kit by using low-priced readily available pool chemicals that the pool store will never tell you about. For a start on that, don't buy any more Pool $tore Potions.

Am I sounding like a midway huckster? Yeh probably, but there's 1000s of threads here that start out with exactly what you said. And the ones that work out well get a test kit right away and follow TFPC methods quickly. By the way, I don't sell test kits or work for Taylor or Lowry.

Required reading includes:
"Read before posting" linked in my signature below. Following those instructions will get you the best possible advice here.

And this one which gives the basics of pool water chemistry: Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

And then please spend some time looking at Pool School and PoolMath (both linked at the top of every page).

The articles are very concise and well written. TFPC is not all that complicated and we've all been in your shoes!

I'm away for a few days, or I would help you out (I'm an expat Canuck), but there are many people here who understand your problem and can walk you through it if you decide to take charge of your pool. You'll never look back once you do!

In the meantime, you need some chlorine in your pool to stop it from being unsafe or getting any worse. Canadian Tire has a good deal on Pool Chlorinating Liquid Aquarius Liquid Chlorine, 5-L | Canadian Tire, and you need to be pouring in about 1/2 gallon (2 litres) each day until you get your kit.

Just want to mention that I don't expect a drain/refill will be needed, provided that the CYA reading you provided is anywhere near correct. When you get the test kit, we can make sure. PoolMath has a drop-down box in the upper right corner where you can switch it to metric.

Please add your city and province to your location when you get a chance. Some people here might think Canada is all covered in snow by the end of August :), but knowing which region helps with recommendations.

HI! So nice to meet you! The above two posters have you covered.

-get test kit

-add 1 jug of bleach a day with pump running 24/7 until test kit gets there.

-brush pool daily to get the yucky stuff into the water to be filtered out.

:kim:

Thank you so much to everyone who has responded with such kindness and support. I am feeling much better and think I can actually do this!

I have ordered the TF100 with XL option! It will be about a week until it arrives. In the meantime, I will add the 1/2 gallon of liquid chlorine that "needsajet" has suggested -Aquarius Liquid Chlorine. I will also brush the pool daily, as "kimkats" suggested.

Should I order the FAS DPD Titrating Reagent or Muriatric acid, or should I be getting both? Both were suggested by different gurus, I would just like to clarify.

I plan to spend time reading the links you provided in this forum, so I can better educate myself! I may still ask some stupid questions, so please be patient. Once again, thank you for your quick and knowledgeable support!

The TF-100 has all the testing chemicals you need, no need to get a separate FAS-DPD test. They were trying to help you piece together a test kit if you had problems getting a TF-100 in Canada.

Hold off on MA, you may never need it.

Don't worry, this method is so easy you will be asking yourself how it could be this easy once you get it cleared up initially. I didn't know a single solitary thing about maintaining a pool last year and have had a perfect pool for more than a year using the TFP method.

Thank you for your encouraging words, chip chip!

I have been brushing and cleaning the pool twice a day and there is noticeable improvement in the clarity each day! I am embarrassed to say that the pool has never been brushed. Yes, I was ignorant to the needs of my pool, but I am starting to take control of it now. Once things are stable, I plan to brush it at least once a week (that was a recommendation that I read on this site). I have also added 1/2 gallon of liquid chlorine each evening, as recommended.

Today I drove down to the States and picked up my brand new pool test kit -TF-100! I am excited to get started, tomorrow morning.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok, to increase the CYA, it says I should add 247 oz of liquid stabilizer. Do I get that at the store, or what should I be using? Then I will start the SLAM.

I've had good luck with the Clorox brand granular stabilizer (liquid costs twice as much). You can find it at the pool store, but it's likely cheaper on Amazon (Amazon.com : Clorox Pool Garden). You could go ahead and start your slam while you're waiting for it to arrive. Double check your numbers though, 247 oz seems like 3-4x too much.

You've been given great advice so far. The CYA test is a light sensitive turbidity test. You may have done it correctly, but just wanted to make sure you did it in full sunlight with your back to the sun.

In the states, you can find CYA sold in Wal-Mart and home improvement stores under the keywords of "stabilizer" or "conditioner".

You can put the stabilizer in a sock and hang it in front of a return or put the sock in the skimmer. Give the sock a squeeze a few times a day.

Once it is dissolved you can assume that your CYA is 30 and use the FC target of 12. The more often you test and adjust FC using bleach will help speed up the process.

Brush daily and backwash whenever your pressure rises 25% above the clean pressure. Sand filters work best when they are a little dirty, so don't backwash early.

Let us know if you have any questions.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.