Winter Pool Cover education needed....

TechnoGeek

Jul 13, 2016
Terre Haute, Indiana
I am Assuming my above ground pool should be covered for the winter.
Here it is not uncommon to get -5 to -10 below for awhile. but mostly 10 to 25 degrees Fahrenheit in the winter.
What are some of the features to look for in a winter cover?
Thickness, Oversized to hang over by how much?
What is the pillow/ball thing for that I see occasionally poofing up a pool cover?
Is any heat source needed during the winter ?
What is to be done by accumulated snow or water? drain it off or leave it to keep the cover from blowing around?
Teach me please.

Make sure when you close the pool for the winter that all plumbing is drained of water. This includes the heater, filter and pump. I have my plumbing set up so I can easily pull the pump and store it in the barn out of the elements. The heater and filter (sand tank) stay out on the pad as the weather doesn't seem to bother them.

I have run the gamete on winter covers and found that most all of them seem to be the same. What they now call heavy duty is what I used to call light duty about 10 years ago. For my 18' pool i pay about $40-$50 for a cover every 3-4 years. I also have a leaf net I put over it during the fall to keep most of the debris from accumulating on the cover. I use a plastic 55 gal drum for a cover support as the first year I tried an inflatable pillow it was junk by the spring. I have been using the same drum now for 12 years. This helps keep the cover supported and any debris that gets into the water on the cover is easier to remove. Without a support, all of it will settle into the middle and pull hard on the cover. During the fall I try to keep as much water off of the cover as possible to mitigate the weight on it. Just before the first freeze, I remove any water remaining. This will allow for snow buildup without the extra weight of the rain water. The drum also helps support the cover.

I use a standard 1.5" plug in the return port in the pool to plug it off and an Aquadoor on the skimmer so I don't have to lower the water level in the pool. Without them, you will need to lower the level to below the lowest opening in the pool when you disconnect them.

The Aquadoor in place.

Drum tied off in place waiting for the cover.

Cover on the pool with the drum under it

Leaf Net

Late winter.

Thanks for the great info. I have enough info to ask a few more questions now.
Is the Leaf net only to give easy leaf cleanup?
Before the actual freezing period when it gets below 20 degree's, should the cover be pulled tight?
Is it a goal to try to keep the cover off the water so that it will not freeze into the pool surface?
Since I have an 18x33 oval should I get three floating things?
If I drain the water from the sand filter wouldn't the moisture in the sand still potentially freeze and break the filter tank?
My Garage usually is only 10 to 15 degrees warmer than the outside temp. Even the RV Antifreeze in the urinal in the garage becomes partially frozen.
Thanks again for sharing info.

I have leared the same - go with the cheapest cover. I have bought the ultra tough super strong long lasting cover and it lasts no longer than the cheap one.

The leaf net is for easy clean up. I don't use one. As long as my cover does not leak (meaning it is 2 seasons or less old) I keep any standing water off of it. If there is a significant amount, I use a small pump, if it is not that much, I blow it off with a leaf blower. Keeping the cover dry means that leaves will blow off of it, and not collect. I blow the leaves off when I rake the yard and by the end of fall the cover is clean.

No need to pull the cover tight.

One larger sized float will do you just fine. It helps to direct water a debris to the edges.

I don't have a sand filter so I cant answer for sure, but if the sand is just damp, it is not going to expand enough when it freezes to crack your tank. If the tank was full of water, sure, but damp sand, not so much.

-dave

I too go with the cheap cover, but I have not had success reusing. I get a new one every year. Always seems to get holes and pull pool water in the spring before opening. Much worse this year with the warm winter and not snow or freeze to hold cover from blowing in the wind.

For the oval I get the next size up and its way easier to put on. I have fence around the top of the pool and its tough to move around. Doesn't have to be perfectly centered long ways. I use both the clips and the wire. Seems to keep better. For pillows I use 2 floats that look like inner tubes. I tied them stacked together, they seem to hold up better than inner tube because they are made for the pool environment.

For draining the cover I have clear 3/8 tube inside of 3/4 plastic conduit. Clear so you can see the water coming and long enough to get water away from pool. Conduit is long enough to get into the middle around the floats and create a low point for the water to pool.

For the filter just take all the hoses off, put the multi-port in winter and cover it. Keep the drain plug off the bottom and you will be fine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.