Forget filter socks!

sbcpool

Mar 10, 2015
Upland, CA
I recently had the idea to try a 1 gallon paint strainer in my skimmer basket rather than the usual filter sock. The filter socks drove me crazy because they only lasted a short while before developing a tear or hole. Paint strainers are much more sturdy, although not quite as efficient as socks. I'm happy to report it's been over a month with the same strainer in my skimmer basket and it's working swimmingly. It catches a lot of the smaller debris that would normally pass into the filter, but it would take some considerable effort to rip or tear it.

Anyone else tried this?

My 1-gallon paint strainer net has been in my skimmer basket since last winter. Yep, I'm a cheapo. But it's durable and works. Every evening I take it out and bang it against my chain link fence to knock the bugs and junk off. Put it back in and I'm back in business. :)

I did the paint strainer last year and I did the hair nets this year. They both work great, but I prefer the paint strainer.

I'm usually behind my pool doing other stuff when I remember to check the skimmer basket. With the paint strainer I can pull it out and dump it right there at the fence line, put it back in and go on with what I was doing. With the hair nets, they are a disposable, so I now have to pull the net, find a garbage to toss it, get a new net and walk to the back of the pool again to install.

Maybe next year at the beginning of the season when we get continuous heavy debris I'll use the hair nets and then switch to the paint strainer.

I use the hair nets and love being able to dump them and install a new one.

For those of you using the paint strainers if you have a couple of them to be able to swap back and forth I discovered with my Polaris bag it's much easier to clean when they are bone dry. If I have time I disconnect the Polaris bag and lay it in the sun for about 10min and all the debris just floats out instead of sticking to the bag requiring a ton of rinsing when it's wet. Granted the Polaris bag has way more nooks and crannies than a paint strainer so perhaps not such an issue for the strainers.

I started using the paint strainer bags after moderator Richard passed the idea to me. It not only helps in the cleaning of the debris, but I think I solved why I've been getting the brown sand particles(or 'dead algae', as some describe it). When I remove it each morning, I shake off the bugs and debris. I noticed I had a slime present in the material. So I started carrying a bucket with about 2-3 inches of water with a couple ounces of bleach, in which I dipped the bag and swirl it around. Then I put it back on the basket, and after doing that for three weeks, all those brown tracks have disappeared! I have ideas why, but I'm not qualified as an expert, so I'll just say it worked somehow! Maybe someone else can verify if it helps them.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Anybody see a problem with hairnets and salt water?

No issue. I'm pretty sure people that wear hairnets sweat...sweat has salt in it (nearly 900-2000 ppm).

Salt gets blamed for a lot of issues but the truth is the salt levels in pools are so low that water is actually still considered fresh water. Salt is a harmless component of it until levels get very, very, very high.

No issue. I'm pretty sure people that wear hairnets sweat...sweat has salt in it (nearly 900-2000 ppm).

Salt gets blamed for a lot of issues but the truth is the salt levels in pools are so low that water is actually still considered fresh water. Salt is a harmless component of it until levels get very, very, very high.

So should I forgo the $300 worth of sealer and my DIY time to coat flagstone coping and moss rock?

So should I forgo the $300 worth of sealer and my DIY time to coat flagstone coping and moss rock?

Its more than salt that causes the issues. Its the pH/poor water chemistry and the wet/dry cycles that are major contributers to the erosion naturally very soft stone. There are many people with flagstone with no sealer and having no issues. There have been several discussions on the topic (especially involving pool builders in Texas) and a good portion falls on rumors and speculation with little science to back up the claims.

The greatest effect is on local sourced (Texas) limestone that is very soft and would likely deteriorate with time, regardless of the salt content.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.