Replace Light Fixture with water damage; cheap LED lighting; leaving niche empty.

Hello all,

I just found out what switch controls my pool light from a neighbor. I pulled out the light (after turn off the main breaker) and found that there was water in side of the fixture. I did not know that fixtures come with cords attached, so I cut the cord in a fit of frustration. So, I have the cord (and hot, ground, and neutral wires) suspended out on the pool deck with a 10lb weight, so it doesn't move. The pool light bulb is 12V, and I measured 12V between hot and neutral (though only 6V between hot and ground) with the switch turned on, so I know there must be a transformer outside of my house somewhere to step down from 120VAC to 12VAC. Anyway, I went online to look for replacement fixtures and almost fainted. These fixtures are $150-$500. What in the h3ll? That is absurd. I guess pool owners are being bent over because we are considered rich? I for one am not rich.

Anyway, has anybody here just pulled the wire out and let the niche sit there empty? I wanted to replace the fixture with an LED fixture but there's no way in Hades that I'm willing to pay $500 for an LED light. Have any of you guys rigged in some do-it-yourself cheap LED lighting? I don't want to spend as much as I did on my first car for a replacement fixture. Maybe there are some outdoor-rated LED lights stands that plug into a standard wall outlet that I can shine at the surface of the pool? Does anybody have any cheap idea or set-ups they'd be willing to share with photos?

Somewhere between your electrical panel and the pool there is a small box sticking out of the ground 6 to 18 inches. That is the light junction box. There is a very good chance that also contains the transformer.

Yea the bad news is that fixtures are expensive. And they are not really serviceable. You can't splice the cord.

Go to inyo pools or sunplay and see what they charge.

Only low voltage lights are allowed outside within five feet of the pool and they have to be UL listed (which eliminates all the cheap ones) and powered by a pool rated transformer.

There are inexpensive replacement led lights (that may or may not work with automation) and are not generally UL listed, but there are not inexpensive replacement fixtures but the sources above have a great many choices.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.