New Light Fixture?

Jul 28, 2016
REDDING, CA
Hi all. First post here. Just bought home a 2 weeks ago. Converted to TFP immediately and installed a SWG. Numbers look good (CYA 60, TA 100, pH 7.5). My problem is old equipment. Won't go into detail on this thread, except for the pool light. The breaker doesn't work, the fixture is American, very old style. The metal rim is a very dull thick metal (aluminum?) unlike the stainless steel seen today. Breaker doesn't work either (intermatic panel is old and a mess...even found an old mud wasp nest behind the pump breakers. Maybe time to replace that too?). So I am just going to replace the light with a Pentair incadescent 8 3/8 lens incadescent and install a 35W color LED. Seems like a no brainer that will work with the current light housing.

Before laying out $300+ I figure I would ask if anyone with more experience had a better suggestion, or should I just bite the bullet.

Thanks,
Ted

I'm lost here. Are you replacing the light with a incandescent light or an LED?

I am assuming its 120. You need to be sure the beaker is operating properly and the light is protected by an GFCI either in the breaker or by a receptacle.

when it comes to pool lights you might run into following problems:

- electric leak somewhere in the light's cable. This will trip GFI which powers the light. I'd try to see if you don't have this problem first as if present it will require light replacement along with its power cable as it's a single assembly.

- when you open the existing light housing you might find the bulb contacts corroded and this would also require light replacement. Keep in mind pool light assembly and partially its power cable are submerged in the water at all times.

- when buying replacement light you need to make sure you buy light with long enough cable. You won't be able to extend cable later, only cut excess.

Pulling old light cable from its conduit is a royal pain but surprisingly it can be done in most cases.

I replaced light with an incandescent fixture and installed an LED bulb. Was a lot cheaper than those sealed 5G intellibrit lights.

Yes, 120v. Even with the light wire detached from the breaker it would not reset. I ordered a new one. Everything on this pool is old and needs replacing. The good thing is the pebbletec surface is awesome.

I replaced light with an incandescent fixture and installed an LED bulb. Was a lot cheaper than those sealed 5G intellibrit lights.

Yes, 120v. Even with the light wire detached from the breaker it would not reset. I ordered a new one. Everything on this pool is old and needs replacing. The good thing is the pebbletec surface is awesome.

I'm hardly following but it sounds what you call 'breaker' is actually GFI and the reason it doesn't reset because you might have electrical leak in the light power cable- problem #1 in my list. GFI is doing its job preventing you from getting electrocuted in the pool. I'd advise to seek professional help at this point or you might hurt yourself or other people around your pool. If it turns out what I suspect it is you'll need to replace the pool light along with its power cord. Please find good electrician familiar with pool lights problems. The ones previous owner of my house used were unable to diagnose the problem let alone fix it judging by molten metal around my GFI :).

Is it working?

Your circuit should be breaker to GFCI to switch to junction box to light. The GFCI can be in the breaker. GFCIs will not reset if there is no line power or if they detect a fault on the line. If that is happening, call a local pool builder and have him recommend an electrician.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.