Pool Newbie, need some help!

mummer43

Jul 31, 2016
Lehigh Valley, PA
My wife and I are currently in the process of building a new home in Eastern PA, and we would like to install a pool. The house will be complete in November, so we were thinking we'd start the pool in early spring to be ready for next summer. We are interested in a rectangle shaped pool, most likely 20x40. We'd like an automatic pool cover that is as inconspicuous as possible. We'd also like some features like multi color LED lighting, bubblers, and maybe a spillover. We'd also like raised hot tub that is not inside the pool. I'd also like it to be as automated as possible.
What is a good brand to look at for pool automation?
]What is a good automatic cover brand?
What type of heater would work best for our application? Do heat pumps heat a hot tub to a high enough temperature?
I have been looking at Peble Tec finishes, and I am interested in that type of finish. How hard is that type of finish on your feet?
]Any other tips would be greatly appreciated!

Welcome to TFP mummer :wave:

This is the place to get your questions answered. Folks will be along soon to help you out.
You didn't mention a SWCG but I'm sure if you want automation you're going to want one of those too.

There is alot to a build and I would recommend that you do some searching and reading in the build forum.

With that size pool, you wull probably want 2 led lights. I have one and it is just enough.

We have Pebblesheen and love it. . It seems to be the perfect balance of grip and smooth. . We have yet to have a single complaint about it being too rough. . I have been in traditional "Smooth" plaster that because the grip was not enough it was actually harder on your feet because they slipped and rubbed alot.

We have all pentair equipment and we are happy. . I don't have experience with others though. . The main driving force for pentair since i was able to choose whatever i wanted was their variable speed pump seems to have the best reputation and their quad cartridge filters get goid praise.

We also have a easytouch 8 with a 40k SWCG. You will want a 60k unit.

We have a wired remote on our porch and that is really nice. For me without a spa and other more complicated lighting, fountains, etc, wireless seemed unneeded, more $ and something else to break.

Hope this helps a little

There is alot to a build and I would recommend that you do some searching and reading in the build forum.

With that size pool, you wull probably want 2 led lights. I have one and it is just enough.

We have Pebblesheen and love it. . It seems to be the perfect balance of grip and smooth. . We have yet to have a single complaint about it being too rough. . I have been in traditional "Smooth" plaster that because the grip was not enough it was actually harder on your feet because they slipped and rubbed alot.

We have all pentair equipment and we are happy. . I don't have experience with others though. . The main driving force for pentair since i was able to choose whatever i wanted was their variable speed pump seems to have the best reputation and their quad cartridge filters get goid praise.

We also have a easytouch 8 with a 40k SWCG. You will want a 60k unit.

We have a wired remote on our porch and that is really nice. For me without a spa and other more complicated lighting, fountains, etc, wireless seemed unneeded, more $ and something else to break.

Hope this helps a little

Thanks so much for the reply. I really like the pebble sheen. I think two lights sounds like a good idea, plus we might have more lights in the bubblers and pourovers. I spoke to a pool builder today who uses Heyward equipment, what is the consensus on that vs. Pentair? I do like the idea of a variable speed pump. He recommended a hybrid heater since we are doing a hot tub.

With most pool builders you are not going to have a choice of equipment. The general consensus is that all of them are adequate and Brandon is not a reason to choose one Builder over another unless all things including the build a reputation are perfectly equal then it may become a consideration.

Oh goodie! A new pool to help build! I really suggest you go to "under Const" and do some reading. That will help get your ready for a pool build better than anything!

You say you want to swim in the summer. I would start the pool build as soon as a shovel can break the ground due to many delays in a pool build or any kind of build I am sure you are dealing with with the house. :rolleyes: LOL

:kim:

You say you want to swim in the summer. I would start the pool build as soon as a shovel can break the ground due to many delays in a pool build or any kind of build I am sure you are dealing with with the house. :rolleyes: LOL

:kim:

Agreed. Don't delay. I would look to be signing a contract about the time that your home is being finished so that you can be early on the list once you can break ground.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.