High PH after adding bleach

saml

Jun 3, 2008
Near Knoxville TN
I'm in the process of shocking and I added 16 ppm FC, 3-182 oz jugs and 3-96 oz jugs of 6%. My PH was ~7.4 before adding the bleach and now it went to ~8.2 about an hour of so after adding the bleach. I did see another topic "Expected pH to rise after shocking...but it didn't" which kind of discusses this but I was wondering if I just let it ride or adjust the PH? If I need to adjust it should I wait a day before I add more bleach and adjust at that level?

Thanks

You're right, I ignored it and it went away...yea! I'm back to ~7.4. However I have 0 FC and 0 CC at the end of the day after being at 16 FC the previous evening. CYA is ~40-45 (best I can read it) and TA is 90. I'm trying to shock but leaving for work at 5:15 of a morning I just don't have the motivation to test of a morning. Do I need to be more persistent, wait till the weekend, or what to get chlorine usage to a normal level?

Be more persistant. :mrgreen:

I'm sorry my friend but to make progress you really should make the effort to add bleach in the morning too - or it's going to be a long week....

If you let the FC drop to 0 the algae can just grow right back, and then you are just wasting bleach. So either add it at least twice a day or wait till the weekend and then do hourly bleach additions if necessary, even then you might not be able to tackle it in 2 days....

Sorry wish I had better news for ya. :?

Yep, I was afraid that was the answer. The other problem is we'll be out of town this weekend and next so the FC would just go away while we're gone for a few days. As for keeping FC in the pool while you're away what do most folks do? Get a SWG, Liquidator, etc? I have a chlorinator on the return line that uses tabs but I just now am getting rid of the stabilizer and don't want to go there again.
Thanks

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.