Just purchased home-came with lots of equipment-now have even more questions

Jul 28, 2016
Western MA
Purchased a new home which came with nice pool (~2006), home inspector indicated it was in very good shape. pool has apparently had a new liner put in in 2014. Owners have been gone for 4-5 weeks and now I need to learn how to manage it...
Most of the equipment is in the signature - and also in attached picture. The two pipes running into house are apparently part of a water heating system. Tested water using Hach Aquachek strips - not too accurate, but I think I had no chlorine (free or total), pH=<6.8 and CA=0. Have been adding chlorine, carbonate and stabilizer for last 2-3 days. Brushed pool and found a Creepy-Crawler(?) in garage that seems to be working. I think I now have the following:

TC=5
FC=5
pH=7.0?
TA=120
CA= ?? Maybe 20

Exterior_Setup.jpg
View attachment 52732
View attachment 52733
Test strips seem to be open to interpretation.
Will need to learn how to clean filter. The pump does not seem to have an off-switch - do I just pull the cord (220V)?
Anything else I should be doing?

Re: Just purchased home - came with lots of equipment - now have even more questions.

Welcome to the forum. :wave:

The pool looks very nice and the equipment is neatly taken care of. You have a good start.

It's time to get serious (ditch the test strips) about your pool water or you will soon have a green monster.

Everything we teach involves precision testing. It is a very good idea to stop guessing at your water parameters and get a good test kit.

There is an article in Pool School that compares our two favorites.

Next, read the ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry up ion Pool School. That'll answer some questions and cause you to ask more.

Re: Just purchased home - came with lots of equipment - now have even more questions.

HI! That is such a pretty pool! What a good start you have already had. Learning how to run the cleaner is awesome and will be oh so helpful in keeping it clean.

Your next job is doing what Dave said-reading the ABC's of pool and ordering a good test kit. See my siggy for the one I think is the best bang for the buck as it has more of what we use on a daily bases.

Make sure to ask any and all questions you might have!

:kim:

Thank you for your comments. Went out and ordered the Taylor 2006 kit, then read a bit more on this forum - in hindsight I would have ordered the TF-100. Oh well - either will be a lot better than the strips...

On reading the articles I infer that TC = FC + CC, and that CC is what causes pool odors and hair discoloration? Where does the CC go in a pool?
Also any thoughts on how to best switch the pump off?

Copper from algaecides usually stain hair. CC is what causes that "chlorine smell" some people associate with chlorine pools. It's "burned off" by the sun (UV).

Not sure about the pump, there should be a switch?

e: That pool looks awesome, I like your coping.

My switch is on the bottom of the end away from the basket. It is a rocker switch on mine. Try looking up the manual for your model. If you cannot find it let us know and we might be able to find it for you.

With your pool being clear the Taylor should be okay for you. For now I would add about a gallon of PLAIN bleach a night with the pump on to mix it in good. Pour it in front of your return slowly.

Do you have any tablets in the tube? If so see if you can take them out or at least turn it to 0 as most tablets add CYA (stabilizer) and the only way to get rid of it is to drain water :(

Re: Chlorine levels in Pool: There is nothing in the chlorinator(!), although a container of Clorox 'Xtra Blue 3" Tablets' is in garage, and also a few bottles of Clorox 'Shock Plus' along with various bottles of Calcium compounds, algae treatments, and a bunch of other pool chemicals I have not had a chance to go through yet.

If I use regular bleach to add to pool - how does one calculate how much bleach to add?

I cannot find any info on bleach bottle how strong it is but am reading that usually it is 6 to 8.5%. Also if the major ingredient in bleach is Na Hypochlorite - then it seems only about 10% is available, and that this is strongly pH-dependent (less available at more alkaline PH). Never realized how much of a science it is to keep a pool balanced...

I will add a gallon/night per kimcats' advice - but would be good to know how to actually calculate this.

Wally, lets get you switched over to "just getting started" I think that will be a better place for you as we are going way past just in intro and I want you to have all of the help you need.

:kim: (moving thread)

I am going to give you the links I give to new pool owners. This should get you all set up on know what we do and why here at TFP. It is a LOT of info. so take it a bite at a time.

Print these out:
Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule

Pool School - Recommended Levels

Bookmark these:
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Make sure to ask any and all questions you might have no matter how small! We have all been where you are at one point.

Let us know when your test kit gets there! There are videos and we have some tips/tricks to help you with the tests.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Excellent! Thank you All.

The resources are GREAT. Really like the pool calculator - answered most of my questions.
Just received my new Taylor K-2006C kit, and did a comparison with my test strips.

Taylor K-2006C vs Aquachek Test Strips

Test Strips:First did three reads on the Test Strips the average was:

FC=5
TC=5
CC=0 (calculated)
pH=7.0
TA=120
CYA= ~15

Taylor K-2006C: Did triplicate reads - that were virtually identical

FC=11.25
TC=11.5 (calculated)
CC=0.25
pH=7.0
TA=90
CH=30
CYA=60

So - quite a big difference - at least a two-fold error in the FC reading and a four-fold error in the CYA readings.

It seems I will need to bring the pH up, and the FC down.

Not sure how much I have to deal with the CH. It seems low, but I have a vinyl liner pool. The only metal pipes in the system appear to be inside the house (copper) running to and from the gas hot water heater. Right now the heater circuit is switched off - but as we bring this online do I need to worry about raising Ca?

Wally you really seem to be getting this all dialed in! You are spot on with the levels and what needs to be done!

Now look at the recommended chemicals link. It will tell you how to push the PH up. The easiest way is to aerate the water-fountain, waterfall, or turn the return so it rolls the water good.

FC-it will fall on it's own due to sun and fun in the water. Just make sure to not let it drop below the recommended level for your CYA.

CH-I am a little unsure on this. I know I have read that some of the heaters say the CH needs to be ?? ppm but don't know the details for each one. Could you call your heater manufacture to see what they say? Share any info you find out about it. If you cannot get an answer there I can put a shoot out to the experts if one does not show up on this thread.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.