baqc conversion solar cover on or off

dgb05

Jul 22, 2016
Chatham, Illinois
Starting day 2 of conversion from Baquacil to chlorine and so far so good. I searched the forum and could not find an answer about leaving the cover off or on during conversion. Also, after the water clears up and we can see the bottom clearly do we vacuum any residue to waste or through the filter before we change the sand. Just used 8th bottle of liquid chlorine so off to the store to get more. Thanks.

Hello and welcome to TFP! :wave: Normally we would recommend leaving the cover off during a normal SLAM, but your is different - a baqua conversion with no CYA (stabilizer) makes the FC an easy target from the sun. For now, I would say it's okay to leave it on a few hours, but would recommend allowing the sun to hit the water a bit each day to help with oxidation. That would also be a good time for your testing, vacuuming, backwashing, etc. Continue to maintain the required FC level of "15" until you pass an OCLT at 15 before changing-out the sand and adding any stabilizer. The TFP Baqua page lists everything very nicely to help you. Good luck!

Pool School - Convert Your Baqua Pool to Chlorine

post some pics of the progress, I hear the best part of the process are the colors Baquacil produces leaving your pool :). The best spot for 'progress' pics is over stairs so you could see clarity / cloudiness over gradually increasing depth. Take them daily at the same time and it will be easy to compare.

Thanks for the reply. Am following the TFP Baqua page as directed. Will post pictures later today or Monday. The colors were not as vivid as some maybe because the Baqua sanitizer level was 0 and the Oxidizer was very low. The filter pressure gauge has not moved much at all which is a good thing I guess, but that may change. Will put the solar cover on later tonight after the last test and remove in the morning. Using test strips until Taylor 2006 kit arrives Monday or Tuesday. Since we only have about a month left in our swim season will get the TF-100 kit next year. Don't know if I can test for OCLT with the strips but will figure it out. Thanks again.
UPDATE---- Just read about the OCLT test and will have to wait for the 2006 test kit to arrive for that. But after an hour this afternoon FC showed 3-5 so added more chlorine and making good progress.

Last edited:
Here are some pics of the progress. First is before we floc'ed and vacuumed to waste. Next is day 2 of conversion, next is this morning about 9 a.m. Overnight fc level was 3. added chlorine and at 10 a.am. fc was 9. Will continue to keep fc level at 15 until levels hold per conversion instructions. Also backwashed filter this morning, it was nasty but not as bad as I expected. Thanks.

View attachment 52807View attachment 52808View attachment 52809

Ok day 4 of conversion pictures. Cleaned the solar cover and put it on last night. Brought FC from 10 to 15 and this morning it was around 8. Very cloudy today and may rain so may slow down conversion a bit. 2006 test kit should be here tomorrow, thank goodness and can post some more accurate results. Hopefully can change sand in a couple of days and get to work on chemical balance. Water is just a little cloudy yet but hopefully will improve. Thanks.

View attachment 52844View attachment 52845

Day 5 of conversion. The Taylor 2006 and the Speed Stir arrived today, great joy!!
  • :grin:
So, very cloudy all day so far, removed solar cover and vacuumed some small patches of whitish material from the bottom and brushed the walls. Backwashed the filter , grey colored water came out, stopped when clear, rinshed and went back to filter. Water turned a little cloudy so maybe should have vacuumed to waste. tested with strips which showed 1.5 -2 FC. Next used kit which showed 1.5 FC. Water turned clear after 3 drops of the R-0871 so I guess I did it right. Added chlorine per pool math after about an hour FC was 4. Added more chlorine and will see what happens. Will wait until tonight to add more , test , and check early in the morning for the OCLT. Any comments or suggestions welcome. Keeping my fingers crossed. Just for reference have used 21 gals of 12.5% liquid chlorine so far.

Most important thing right now ... maintain that FC of 15. Good luck. Having the right test kit should make a big difference now. Also, Taylor often states to use the 25 ML sample and multiplying by 0.2. Instead, you can do the following:

"10 ML sample, one heaping scoop of powder, mix until clear. Multiply by 0.5 (divide by 2)." That might help you a bit and save on some reagents. :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Day 6 of conversion.

Checked last night at 10 p.m. FC at 14.5 Added chlorine checked at 10:30 p.m. still at 14.5.

This morning at 6:30 a.m. checked before sun hit the water FC at 12 so didn't pass the OCLT. Full sun today and must be gone most of the day. Will check and add before leaving. Be back late this afternoon and will hit it again. Getting close but chlorine must still be eating something but don't know what it could be. Water still looks a tiny bit cloudy. Nothing visible on the bottom to vacuum.
Not looking forward to changing sand in this heat but will be worth it once OCLT is passed.

Unfortunately, I wouldn't place too much faith on the rain effecting that FC that much. I would hang in there and maintain until you're sure you pass the OCLT starting at 15. The last thing you want to do after all of this progress is replace your filter media and add stabilizer only to find there was some goo hidden somewhere not totally broken-down. Stay with it and have a nice weekend.

Sad news again today. Checked last night at 10:30 pm FC was 13. Added chlorine checked at 11:00 pm was at 15. This morning at 6:30 am FC was 12.5. Even checked again to be sure, same results. My wife thinks I am losing my mind, but she does admit the water never looked this clean. Will vacuum and brush again today. The only thing didn't clean on the steps were the supports which attach to the steps. Will take those apart and clean today in case something is lurking behind them.

FC has been only thing I've tested for since the 2006 arrived. Should I test any other levels right now or would it be a waste of time?

After cleaning today will continue to keep FC at 15 and hope Sunday will bring better news.

Update today. Sun was out all all day yesterday so only checked 3 or 4 times during day, plus running low on powder more should be here today. Any way checked every hour after sun stopped hitting pool and reading were pretty much consistent at around 14. Added chlorine as usual last check was at 10:30 p.m. FC at 14.5. Added chlorine. Didn't plan on testing early this morning but woke up at 8 a.m. and did check anyway, sun just starting to hit water. To my surprise FC was 14. Don't like to assume anything but if Fc was 15 last night this is a good sign. Water is very clear. Will confirm tonight per procedure for OCLT.

If it passes in the morning with 1PPM 0r less loss will clean filter and change sand. Will hang "CYA SOCK" and get CYA up to 30 while keeping FC at 15. Right?

So here's my question. If I understand the process correctly ckeck CYA after about a week and if correct then check for CC at 0.5 or less for two nights? Do I keep FC at 15 during that period?

If pass that test then test all levels and correct as needed.

Keeping my fingers crossed. Thanks.

Need a little help here. PH tonight was 7.4. TA was 200. Pool math says to lower PH to 7.0-7.2 with acid and aerate to increase PH. Does that make sense? Or am I ok with TA that high.

Forgot FC at 7.5.

FC - 7.5
PH - 7.4
TA - 200
CYA - 30

Last edited:
I actually know this! It is telling you to do that because lowering ph also lowers TA. So, to get TA down to a reasonable level, you lower ph with acid, then you can adjust ph back up by aerating.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.