New Plaster chlorine level

Jul 23, 2016
Flower Mound, TX
I have a newly replastered (quartzscape) pool. The replaster was completed 9 days ago (7-22-16). The pool remodeler sent a pool company out on 7-24 to do the start up. They brought the acidity way up (approx 12 gallons of acid) for about 4 days and at the same time they added a couple of chlorine tabs to a skimmer. They neutralized the acid on Friday (7-29) and also added a conditioner. Since then I have been testing the pool and I cannot get the chlorine to register at all. I am using a Poolmaster 5-way test kit (have a TF-100 kit on order). Based on the poolmath calculator for a 17000 gallon pool I have twice added chlorine (Clorox Bleach - 8.25% - approximately 100 oz so far) but the chlorine test still indicates I have zero chlorine. What am I doing wrong/missing?:confused: Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Test results
FC = 0
CC = 0
PH = 7.6
TA = 100
O

I live in Flower Mound, TX and have an inground pool with a Pentair Nautilus FNS-48 DE filter.

Welcome to the forum :wave:

I would add a whole gallon of bleach and test again about 30min after. You are going to be a bit blind till the TF-100 arrives and you can find out what your CYA level is. If the gallon gets you to around 4ppm I would try to hold it there till you get your kit. You will likely be adding 1/2 gallon a day once the water is under control and in the next few day it would not surprise me if you have to add 1 gallon a day. When you get the kit post up a full set of results and read up on SLAM in Pool School especially OCLT as you are going to have to figure out if you need to SLAM once your kit arrives.

Hello and welcome to TFP! :wave: Not sure about the Poolmaster test kit since I've never used one, but our pools are almost the same size. The amount of bleach you are adding (just under 1 gallon) would only increase your FC to about 4. Not sure how much CYA (conditioner) that company added for you, but in this heat an FC of 4 won't last long if not protected well. It might last one day for you. Do yo know how much conditioner was added so you can estimate a CYA number on the Poolmath calculator? That would help.

Thanks for the welcomes and the replies. I will add more bleach as suggested and try and get the level up. I don't know how much conditioner was added, if I can't get the level adjusted myself I will ask them to come back out. I think they should have made sure the chlorine level was correct anyway, I paid extra for the startup. If I have any more trouble I'll post again after I receive the TF-100.

OK, after adding a full gallon of the Clorox the chlorine level finally came up to about 1.0 or 1.5, but it also turned the water a clear green. From reading other posts it looks like that means I should add a sequestrant because there is metal in the water? I guess that makes sense because I know from past experience I have some rust in the plumbing system from a piece of metal that got left in the pool for an extended period of time (don't ask). After the acid treatment it may have been released into the water - I noticed when I cleaned the DE filter that the grids were bleached almost as white as new. My question is would I have the same problem if I used chlorine tabs, or is this only related to using bleach. Also since this is new plaster do I have to use the Jack's Magic Blue Stuff or will another product work as well. I know I am working somewhat blind until I get the TF-100 but any suggestions are appreciated.

When they did your plaster start-up they should've added a sequestrant to prevent stains in such cases like yours where metal is in the water. Make sure to contact them right away to confirm. You might need to add more. As for the tabs, chlorine is chlorine, so it doesn't matter. Depending upon how much metal is in the water, the chlorine will eventually react. Now you have to do a couple things ... keep FC relatively low (about 2-3 ppm) until you can confirm the CYA. Also keep pH on the low side - about 7.2 - 7.4. With new plaster the rising pH will be a challenge, but keeping it low should help. You might consider adding some paper towels or cotton material to the skimmer to help catch some of the iron while it's precipitated out in the water. But definitely get with your plaster folks tomorrow to update them on the situation and perhaps see if you can confirm how much conditioner was added.
Pool School - Metals in the Water and Metal Stains
Pool School - Start-up New Plaster

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.