HELP, black algae? Leak? Stabilizer?

May 30, 2016
Abilene/Tx
Hey everyone new pool owner. Thanks to TFP I got my pool up and running beginning of June and have had no problems for 2 months. Then I went on vacation!! I came back to weird black/dark green spots around the pool and yellow dusty Algae on the steps etc. So my first plan is to vaccum and brush brush brush. In the mean time I need to figure out my levels. I added to much stabilizer beginning of summer and weirdly my pool did fantastic. Felt like less bugs, kept the chlorine well? Is that possible my water and side were crystal clear. However in July my cya dropped to 50 and so many problems are arising? Any correlation? Should I bring stabilizer up a bit or wait till after I slam the pool? ....now for the leak. One day I noticed my under my skimmer basket looked like it had bugs and debris so I stuck my vaccum hose in it and it was drawing water in some vortex lol and now I have to add water once a week? Could that also be a stabilizer thing too? Where do I begin?

Well, if you have algae, don't raise the CYA (stabilizer) yet. Start the SLAM right away and remove all the algae via the SLAM page (link below). Don't let-up until you pass all 3 criteria. Stabilizer will have nothing to do with a leak. But adding water once a week is nothing unusual. I actually add a little water almost everyday because of evaporation. It's brutal in our state this time of year. One way to know for sure is to turn everything off before bed. Make note of the water level and see if it's the same when you wake up. If you see a drop, then you can bet concerned.

Treat the SLAM now with regular bleach (FC of "20") and make sure to follow the SLAM page "precisely" for beast results. Don't forget to adjust pH to about 7.2 before starting the SLAM. After the SLAM is complete, then you can increase the CYA a little more for this summer if needed. Good luck!

Regarding your pH, this is why it helps to start every thread with your current test results. The pH test tops out at 8.2 - if you are over that it would take multiple additions to get it down possibly. Yes, use as much as you need to get to 7.2ish. P.s. I hope that doesn't read harsh, it isn't supposed to be anything but a friendly request.

If you have algae you must slam. Estimate your slam level on your most recent CYA level and go. If its really 20, you should add enough stabilizer to get to 30 and slam away. You can target slam FC level of 30 ppm CYA once you hang the stabilizer in front of the return.

Good luck.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.