Poolside shade solutions

Jul 24, 2016
Vacaville CA.
I have been researching poolside shade solutions for a month or two. I really like the look of a shade sail or something like the pic below. We have a lot of wind where I live so taking that into consideration. I have read so many negative reviews about umbrellas that dont last so im looking at durable structures. I have gotten a couple quotes for a large shade sail structure that suites my needs but not ready to spend 15 K. I'd like to see and hear about some of your poolside shade solutions.

image.jpeg

This is my pool in the area I want to shade is where you see the chairs near the spa.
d986e9bbab2093efe4efa79eafb349ea.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With your limited amount of space I'm going to suggest a cantilever umbrella. The good ones are not cheap.

pool umb.jpg

That is a 13' Treasure garden Octagon

I was planning a sort of sail like you are contemplating. However we like to sit out there in the morning with the light filtered through the trees to the east. A shade structure would mean no morning sun.

So I decided to invest $1500 in the umbrella. It was better than investing $5000 in the shade structure and not liking it.

I like the umbrella and most importantly the wife likes the umbrella. Its adjustable so you can track the sun as the day progresses. On days like today where it will be at least 95 it makes the backyard bearable in the afternoon.

We did an adjustable, cantilevered umbrella earlier this season and it was a really good investment (get the cover too). Be careful when comparison shopping - a lot of the websites that say they offer cheaper umbrellas do so by making you buy the base separately. We went with Pottery Barn for our umbrella because the 100-lb base was included in the price and the base actually has retractable wheels making it very easy to move around. The cheaper internet sites that offer umbrellas usually leave out the base OR you can get a base with the unit but you are required to purchase 18"x18"x4" concrete forms on your own dime in order to get the umbrella stand to stay put (reduces the shipping weight and cost of shipping if they make you buy the base separately). We contemplated the lower priced umbrellas but bailed on them when I had a hard time locating concrete forms to properly fit the base.

Anyway, like all things - buyer beware and READ the fine print!

Thanks for the suggestions. Umbrellas is where my search begain and I have done a fair amount of homework on them. An average wind speed in my yard is 10-20 mph with 100 degree temps at the same time in the summer. I don't want to be limited with my shade when it's windy. How much wind can a good quality cantilever umbrella handle on a regular basis before components begin to break? We ocasionally have parties with 10 to 15 guests so I am looking for a larger scale shade solution. The pool fence is easily removed to create a larger seating area.

We just bought a cantilever umbrella on Amazon prime made by abba. It's heavy duty aluminum and all bracketry is metal. I set a length of 1.25 galv pipe in concrete to slide it onto. Really pleased so far.

I bought and returned a similar one from Walmart but it had plastic bracketry which broke the first time I used it.

With your limited amount of space I'm going to suggest a cantilever umbrella. The good ones are not cheap.

View attachment 52763

That is a 13' Treasure garden Octagon

I was planning a sort of sail like you are contemplating. However we like to sit out there in the morning with the light filtered through the trees to the east. A shade structure would mean no morning sun.

So I decided to invest $1500 in the umbrella. It was better than investing $5000 in the shade structure and not liking it.

I like the umbrella and most importantly the wife likes the umbrella. Its adjustable so you can track the sun as the day progresses. On days like today where it will be at least 95 it makes the backyard bearable in the afternoon.

I have the same Treasure Garden umbrella and at least 2 friends have purchased them since they saw ours. We lucked into a season-end deal at half off a few years ago. The tilt mechanism is very solid and it pivots 360 degrees around the base.

I have the same Treasure Garden umbrella and at least 2 friends have purchased them since they saw ours. We lucked into a season-end deal at half off a few years ago. The tilt mechanism is very solid and it pivots 360 degrees around the base.
I'm in desperate need of something like this. Where did you score yours at end of season? I think I can manage the rest of this summer, but if I could get one on sale at the end of the season I'd be happier. Where should I look?

I too would be hesitant about any umbrella in 20+ MPH winds. Just my gut feel. 20 MPH is moving pretty good and even if they don't topple, they'd have to be shaking some which could cause anxiety. Just physics and the psyche. I'd be tempted to ante up and get a good sail. Or build a structure like a pavilion.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have spent anywhere from $200-$1200 for a cantilevered umbrella and generally the more expensive ones are worth it, even though I have had to replace them after five years or so.

Has anyone put in a permanent hole for a cantilevered umbrella? To me that seems to make a lot more sense rather than using a base which is often filled with sand and water. Why not create a permanent post hole with a metal sleeve and put the umbrella in such a hole? The closest thing I have seen to this is a base that is bolted onto your surface but then what would you bolt it onto? Nuts embedded in your pool deck? That wouldn't work for me as I have a flagstone deck which could lift up.

I'm in desperate need of something like this. Where did you score yours at end of season? I think I can manage the rest of this summer, but if I could get one on sale at the end of the season I'd be happier. Where should I look?

We got ours at an outdoor grill/furniture shop (local, not a chain). They do Christmas decorations once pool season ends so they clear out their floor samples.

My wife amd I have I have been looking for a while now to add some shade. We looked at Sunsetter awning but it is limited to being attached to a house. I found these Paraflex Multi Umbrella systems. We are going to have one installed over the winter.

View attachment 53468

I considered something very similar to this. I have concerns about what is going to do in a 15 to 20 mile an hour wind. I have also read reviews about fabric tearing, components breaking etc. we have decided on having a fixed structure built. It's expensive but should last for many many years.

I considered something very similar to this. I have concerns about what is going to do in a 15 to 20 mile an hour wind. I have also read reviews about fabric tearing, components breaking etc. we have decided on having a fixed structure built. It's expensive but should last for many many years.

Our local bar has this system on their rooftop deck. Really great quality, but you get what you pay for.

Where we live and the way the houses are lined up, I get a fairly strong wind through my back yard during a storm. So whatever I get I'd want to be able to fold up and keep safe in the wind. I already do so with a retractable shade by Coolaroo on my porch. I like the idea of the umbrella so I can take it down when not needed. I'll have to look for local shops that may clearence this kind of stuff. All I'm seeing online is places like patioliving.com, where a 10' would cantilever would run me a little over $500.

I think you we more on the correct course in your sail pursuit than a freestanding umbrella, because of your gusts. I get the cost factor differential and its significant, but a good sail structure is going to give you much more enjoyment / much less hassle than freestanding umbrellas.

I don't know if it's an option, but we live near the ocean and have an aluminum screen enclosure (see pics) which increases shade and provides a fair amount of UV protection even in direct sunlight. These are extremely common in Florida, but I don't recall seeing many out your way.

I would pursue the sail option exclusively if I had your setup and wind factors.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.