Cloudy water

efranklin

Jul 8, 2016
St. Petersburg, FL
I have an Easy Set 10 X 30 Intex pool. Just finally got it successfully set up last weekend after a couple of tries at the leveling thing.

Shortly after filling it I came home one day to find yellow cloudy water. Sorry for not keeping a complete diary of the week but here goes. I have been adding about 1/2 cup of bleach at night. One day last week I decided not to add any bleach, wondering if I might have too much bleach in there. After one day, it didn't make a difference. I think that was Thursday.

So that night I threw in a 1/2 cup of bleach. The next morning I decided to throw in another 1/2 cup of bleach before sunrise. Two hours later when I left for work my jaw dropped when I went outside. I no longer had yellow cloudy water. I had white cloudy water. So I thought I was on my way. However I'm still dealing with white cloudy water. I clean out the filter every morning and I have been running the pump overnight.

For the past couple of days, my readings have been

TC and Total Bromine: 0
FC: 0
Ph: 7.8 to 8.4
TA: 80 to 120

So it seems like I need to add that extra 1/2 cup of bleach in the morning? Thought I would make sure I'm on the right track before I got too far into this. I also have more bugs in the pool in the morning than seems like I've had, if that means anything. I think it means I need to mow the lawn. :) We've had some short afternoon rainstorms, typical of summer but mostly sunny days.

Thanks.

EFranklin:

Hope you are doing well. As Mr. Bruce suggests, what are your accurate test results and what are you testing with? Your PH seems high and has a lot of fluctuations. In order to perform a complete SLAM, you will need to lower your PH to 7.2 as the liquid chlorine will increase the PH. A SLAM does take some time. There are many variables. If you have passed all 3 criteria, then you know that the SLAM is over. Do you have one of the recommended test kits?

EFranklin:

Hope you are doing well. As Mr. Bruce suggests, what are your accurate test results and what are you testing with? Your PH seems high and has a lot of fluctuations. In order to perform a complete SLAM, you will need to lower your PH to 7.2 as the liquid chlorine will increase the PH. A SLAM does take some time. There are many variables. If you have passed all 3 criteria, then you know that the SLAM is over. Do you have one of the recommended test kits?

I haven't bought one of the expensive test kits because I wanted to wait until I have the bigger frame pool to commit to that expense. I did get a test kit with strips and I will go by a pool store today with some water to get a complete analysis.

I may move to a saltwater method but have been pretty busy lately and haven't had time to research that just yet.

Thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

I've read from many people online who have the same pool and maintain the pool with the 1/2 cup of bleach. I think I also used the pool calculator a while back when I first got the pool. I have just over 1,000 gallons in the pool.

I am thinking about moving to one of those floating things but I think will probably move to the saltwater method once my life settles down and I can sit down to research that.

Thanks.

I have a similar pool (12'x30" bestway) and had the same exact problem last week. Pool was perfect for 2 months then all of a sudden got cloudy/yellowish. Tried a SLAM method and did not help. A drain and bleach scrub fixed it. I also ditched the junk 330gph filter that came with it and upgraded to the intex 1000gph also. Good to go now. Definitely need a good test kit regardless of pool size.

I have a similar pool (12'x30" bestway) and had the same exact problem last week. Pool was perfect for 2 months then all of a sudden got cloudy/yellowish. Tried a SLAM method and did not help. A drain and bleach scrub fixed it. I also ditched the junk 330gph filter that came with it and upgraded to the intex 1000gph also. Good to go now. Definitely need a good test kit regardless of pool size.

Thanks. Guess I will try that but with my schedule, I won't be able to do that for a few days. I have another project consuming my time right now.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.