Hello and Help?

victoria4504 said:
These are the results of my good kit. I received the TF-100 test kit yesterday. I used the cal-hypo (Shock & Swim) last night. I have some dirt/stuff in the bottom of the pool so I'll vacuum today to see if that helps with the cloudiness. Usually when I vacuum the pool I backwash the filter after. Is this okay?

Thanks,
Vicky

BRAINFART. :oops: Sorry, I didn't even read up above for a refresher. It's early, I'm PMSing and didn't sleep well. Forgive me! :mrgreen:

Sounds like a plan. :goodjob: It could be cloudiness from the cal-hypo too, but there is still a chance you'll need to raise it up to shock level. Tonight, after you add bleach, perform the Overnight FC test, instructions here. If the FC doesn't hold overnight, you'll need to shock.

victoria4504 said:
Thanks FPMom! I understand the fogginess completely! I'll vacuum the pool now. How much bleach should I add tonight?

Vicky

Not sure. If your FC drops all the way down, I would assume some organics present and add enough to raise it to shock level...use the Pool Calculator to determine the dosage amount, after you test. :goodjob:

Okay, let me see if I understand what I need to do...before I start the Overnight FC Check I need to make sure the FC level is good. If my FC level is good I can begin the Overnight FC Check as soon as the sun goes down.

If my FC level isn't good, then I should add some bleach (determine how much bleach to add by using Pool Calculator). When the FC level is good I need to wait 30 minutes after adding the bleach and retest the FC level again to begin the Overnight FC Check. Then I will recheck the FC level in the morning before the sun hits the pool :sleep: to see if the level fell overnight.

If the FC level doesn't fall, then I'm probably in good shape and the cloudiness will most likely go away as I continue to vacuum, sweep, and backwash filter.

If the FC level does fall, then most likely there are some organics present and I will need to shock it by adding more bleach...

Do I have it right?

Sorry for all the questions...I just want to make sure I'm doing everything right!

Thanks again and again,

Vicky

Good Morning,

My Overnight FC Test results:

Last Night: FC = 3.5
This Morning: FC = 2.0

I guess that means I have some nasty organisms in my pool :(.

One more thing...we did have several thunder storms last night...is that likely to change the FC numbers?

Either way, what is my next step?

Vicky

Well, it's possible it was the rain, but it doesn't matter... Just I think it's best for you to raise your FC to shock level, this morning if you can and then again after sunset, and then repeat the overnight test.

I think you should be good by tomorrow with that plan of attack. :goodjob:

I have been lazy :oops: . It rained for 2 cold days and I just couldn't get myself to worry about the pool. I did, however, shock it with 1 gallon and 3 quarts of bleach according to the Pool Calculator on Thursday evening. I just tested the pool water today and following are the results:

FC: 7.0
CC: .0
TC: 7.0
pH: 7.5
TA: 70
CH: 130
CYA: 50
Water Color: Crystal Clear!

The weather forecast for Baltimore is that we will have mostly cloudy skies with intermittent periods of rain until next week this time. Does the weather influence the way I should care for the pool?

Should I do anything else at this time? Another Overnight FC Test (not tonight though, because there's no way I'm getting up before the sun comes up on Sunday morning :sleep: )?

Vicky

victoria4504 said:
The weather forecast for Baltimore is that we will have mostly cloudy skies with intermittent periods of rain until next week this time. Does the weather influence the way I should care for the pool?
The weather can have an influence if it keeps us from going outside and dosing the pool with chlorine! Also, sometimes wind-blown junk can use up a little chlorine, too. I usually up my FC about 2 or 3 when I know storms are on the way.

Should I do anything else at this time? Another Overnight FC Test (not tonight though, because there's no way I'm getting up before the sun comes up on Sunday morning )?

The overnite test is a great idea. You don't have to necessarily get up before the sun, just get a sample of pool water before the sun hits your pool! :mrgreen:

Your numbers look great and glad to hear that it is sparkly!

Because I thought my pool looked just a bit cloudy yesterday afternoon, I decided to shock the pool when my daughter got out for the day. I shocked it with 1-1/2 jugs of 182 oz. Bleach. An hour later I tested for the Overnight FC test:

FC: 18.5
CC: .5
TC: 19.0

This morning's test results:

FC: 15.5
CC: 0
TC: 15.5

It looks like I must have something that needs killin' in my pool! What's my next step? Should I try to keep it at shock level for a while? And how long is a while? And how often do I check the FC level to make sure it is at shock level? Also, why do I keep getting an .5 CC level instead of 0 on some of my tests? Should I do a complete testing for everything again? I just did that on Saturday and the results were:

FC: 7.0
CC: .0
TC: 7.0
pH: 7.5
TA: 70
CH: 130
CYA: 50

Thanks,
Vicky

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You should continue shocking the pool until the overnight FC loss test shows a loss of 1.0 or lower. When shocking, it is important that you test and bring the FC level back up to shock level at least twice a day, one of which needs to be in the evening. More frequently than that can often speed up the process, but since you don't have a full blown algae bloom more frequently than that isn't crucial.

Some pools will read CC at 0.5 nearly all the time, others will read 0. As long as CC is 0.5 or lower I wouldn't worry about it.

I'm still in the processing of shocking my pool until the overnight FC test remains stable. I'm on my third day and even though the pool water looks sparkling clean, the FC levels continue to fall during the night. The weather forecast had predicted cloudy, rainy days until this weekend...but, of course, like most weather forecasts, we have had 3 beautiful, sunny days...perfect for swimming.

I haven't been allowing my children to swim in the pool while I'm trying to keep the FC level at 15+. (Kids not very happy :( .) I just "assumed" it would be unsafe. Then, today while I'm reading some threads on this site, I came across a posting from "chem geek" which read:

You are correct that I took the style of the chart from what Ben had in his Best Guess Chart so inherited the concept of "Min" though I did not use "Max" since it really isn't applicable (the actual maximum where pool's are not safe to swim in is far higher as most indoor pools exceed even shock levels in terms of disinfecting chlorine concentration).

Is this true? Can we continue to swim in our pool with high FC levels?

Thanks,

Vicky
(the more I read...the more I learn)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.