Another Soon to be Ex-Baqua User

I have all my purchases marked down but haven't totaled them yet. I purchased a variety of sizes and concentrations. I believe the total will equal somewhere between 60 and 70 gallons of 6% solution. I should be changing my cartridge, cleaning my filter, and adding CYA in the next day or two. I am not done adding chlorine yet, but will give a total count at that point.

My biguanide level was between 20 and 30 when I started. That caused me to need more chlorine than someone starting with a lower level. After buying many of the 182 ounce bottles of 6% at the dollar store and Sams Club, I found a 12.5% solution at a local pool store for $14.54 for a 4 gallon case. That price was only a little more than the best price I found for the 182 ounce 6% bottles at $2.50/bottle . It is much more convenient to use the more concentrated solution.

Good Morning Bob,
Thank you for your guesstimate at this point. I too bought some less expensive bleach at K-Mart, Albertson's, etc. wherever I could pick some up on my way home from work each day. Later I read where that might only be 3%. Pool stores had me trying Burn Out Extreme and Super Shockwave. I finally went to all Chlorox Friday night. Things seem to be moving a little better since then. My FC was 3 when I got up this morning-that was a first! Usually it is 0 within 2 hours. I'm crossing my fingers, topping up to FC 15 this morning and pushing forth. Your success has convinced me to stay the course. Thanks again :p

My 1st question this morning: Is there is any benefit for me to add chlorine during the day (today is sunny) based on where I am in the conversion process? The conversion procedures make reference to when half way through the conversion, it may be prudent to add only in the evening. Does that mean from that point forward?

I brought my FC to 15 last night, and this morning FC was 12 and CC was 2.5. Early morning chlorine tests for the last four days are as follows:
Date__FC___CC
6-3___12.5_ 7.0
6-4___12.0_ 6.0
6-5___13.0_ 4.5
6-6___12.5_ 3.5
6-7___12.0_ 2.5

The conversion instructions state to clean the filter and add stabilizer when FC drops by 1 or less overnight. Can I expect that to occur when CC is at 1 or less? CC is gradually decreasing each day. If adding chlorine during the day will help speed up the process, I am willing to buy a few more gallons of chlorine. Otherwise, I will be patient and keep doing what I have been.

You are in the second half of the conversions, so it is a more efficient use of chlorine to only add chlorine in the evening. It is faster to add chlorine through out the day, but that will take much more chlorine (lots will be lost to sunlight). You want to continue bringing FC up to 15 until FC drops by 1.0 or less overnight. At that point CC is often 0.5 or lower, but sometimes is still higher than that. Then you replace the filter media, then add CYA, and then continue with FC at 15 until CC has been 0.5 on two days in a row (which might have already happen or could take several more days).

Update...I am getting close to completing the conversion.

My FC reading dropped by only 1 last night. I replaced the filter cartridge after cleaning the filter unit, and added stabilizer based on the calculator to bring the CYA level up to 30 (51 ounces).

This evening, my FC reading was 9.5, CC was 1.

CC has been dropping by about .5 each day. If the trend stays the same, I should start balancing my water by Saturday. I will have to post a final picture. The water is sparkling. I don't think the water has ever been this clear! :party:

Here are 2 photos of my biguanide free crystal clear swimming pool! I am almost there.

My test results this evening before I topped off the chlorine are as follows. The only test I did not do yet is the CYA test, but enough was added two days ago to bring the pool to 30 PPM.

FC-5.5
CC-.5 (had to swirl a while for the solution to become clear)
TA-120
CH-240
PH-7.4

If I get a CC reading of .5 tomorrow, my conversion will be considered complete. If that occurs, I feel pretty good about the rest of the chemical test results. TA is high based on the recommended levels chart, and PH should be raised to 7.5 - 7.8. If I add 12 ounces of soda ash, my PH should go up by 2, and TA should increase by 7 to 127.

Should I be concerned with a TA level of 127, and aerate to increase PH?

I am getting some heat from little swimmers wanting to jump in the pretty blue water. Assuming I get a CC test of .5 tomorrow, is there any reason we should not use this pool based on the chemical readings given; as long as FC is between 3 & 7?
[attachment=1:2ih0pghy]June 12-8PM.jpg[/attachment:2ih0pghy]
[attachment=0:2ih0pghy]June 12-9 PM.jpg[/attachment:2ih0pghy]

Attachments

• June 12-8PM.jpg
    June 12-8PM.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 96
  • June 12-9 PM.jpg
    June 12-9 PM.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 96
My conversion is now complete. :cheers:

When I did not get a CC reading below .5 on the second day, I started checking posts and took a good look at the pool calculator. I raised the FC level to mustard algae shock level for one day and the result was good.

I cannot be sure if that is what led me to the finish line, but I thought I should mention it here so the experts can comment on it. The water is beautiful and ready just in time for the weather to warm up this week. I will be moving on to another forum to learn more on how to balance my water and keep it balanced.

The final count of bleach I used ended up higher than expected. It was the equivalent of 92 gallons of 6% chlorine bleach. The conversion took two weeks and 1 day to complete.

Thank you so much for all the help! I hope what is documented here helps someone else complete a successful conversion. This is a good example of a conversion that started with a higher than ideal biguanide level.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Congratulations! :party: Thanks for the total gallons of bleach. I finally quit counting after 70. I had to add water to my pool yesterday and I think it messed my numbers up a bit, but my water is still clear. Hopefully I can party with you next week some time for a complete conversion! Enjoy your pool and your summer:)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.