Losing water :(

Curbfeeler

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 30, 2013
Hi guys, I have a 25k gallon in-ground pool, two skimmers, sand filter, vinyl liner with fiberglass steps at shallow and fiberglass ladder steps at deep ends. Also an led light. I leave the autocover closed almost all the time.

Pic of pool so you get an idea.
ea4a3bcdae984630b06e0a20440eb673.jpg

Problem:
I've been losing water since day one (3 years) but think this year is worse. Thus year when I opened in march, I was 4-5 inches below the skimmers and cover had been closed that whole time.

Example: Tuesday (11 days ago) we got a massive rain. I opened the cover to catch it. Pic attached.

Day of crazy rain..
1a8a4afdaf4dda381b973af496e8fdb0.jpg

Today...
5701919034cd7877fb72cad51fb33740.jpg

I do not have air bubbles in the window of my basket, but I feel this is more than normal evaporation. Thoughts? Am I crazy?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

It is not a suction side leak if you are losing water, so you will not see air in the pump basket unless you have a suction side leak or the water drops too low. Have you checked the multiport valve on the sand filter? Make sure the waste line is not leaking as the pump is running with the valve set to filter. If that is not the problem check the liner for leaks around steps, skimmer, returns, main drain, lights, and seams. You can use food coloring or get leak checking dye to test for leaks.

About 5 minutes into this video it shows how the dye is sucked into a hole in the liner. Even though it is an above ground pool the info also applies to inground liners. How to use food dye to find a leak in your pool liner - YouTube

Thanks, the waste goes into my driveway so it's not there. I'll get a snorkel and start looking for a hole. Great video! Thanks again.

Dan

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Last year I had a very small leak at my skimmer that I located with an extra bottle of phenol red reagent that I had. It was really easy to see the reagent get sucked in where the leak was, some 2 part pool putty (I have a gunite ig) and about 30 minutes later my pool hasn't lost a drop off water due to a leak good luck

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

zea I used to agree with the statement that a suction side leak would present air in the lint pot basket at the pump. I have seen first hand a main drain 90 cracked at the base of the pool wall and never presented air. There was enough force to push water out and not let air in. It took 3 years to finally find the problem.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.