Cloudy Deep end

bigdave

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 14, 2007
Boise Idaho
I have been trying to get the pool clean and running the last two weeks. Gave the pool a good scrub a couple times and the auto cleaner has been doing it's job. The pool looked great when I opened it, not much to clean out. I started out by shocking it and getting the salt water generator running.

Here are my readings
FC=4
TC=4
CC=0
PH=7.5
TA=130 (same as what comes out of my tap water, tried lowering before but when I put water in it slowly goes right back to 130 range)
CYA=50
CH=110
Salt=3400

This is my 3rd season with the pool and everything above seems to be ok so I am a little confused as to why the cloudy water in the deep end. Shallow end looks clear. Sand filter is reading about 15psi and has been back flushed several times.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Let the sand filter get a little dirty (ie backwash less often), or try adding a some DE to the sand filter. Either one should allow it to filter out more of the very fine particles that are making the water cloudy.

Also, if you don't have a main drain, make sure that at least one return is aimed down towards the bottom of the deep end.

I have never tried the overnight FC test, but I will give it a go. I have the Taylor K-2005 kit which I hope will have enough resolution to catch a difference. I do have a auto pool cover and the pool stays closed the majority of the time. I would assume that I can close it for this test as well because the cover will just keep it dark as well.

Thanks for the tips....

bigdave said:
I have never tried the overnight FC test, but I will give it a go. I have the Taylor K-2005 kit which I hope will have enough resolution to catch a difference. I do have a auto pool cover and the pool stays closed the majority of the time. I would assume that I can close it for this test as well because the cover will just keep it dark as well.

Thanks for the tips....

You really should invest in the FAS-DPD test, you can purchase it to supplement your K2005. The DPD test is not precise enough. TFTestkits sells the individual test for around $25, so does the Taylor website.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.