Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
My photometer gives me the option of two readings when I test for CH or TA:

CH: produces readings in CaCO3 and Ca
TA: produces readings in CaCO3 and HCO3

Having read around TFP a bit, I think I should be paying attention to the Ca reading for CH and the HCO3 reading for TA - am I right?!

You actually want to use the readings for CaCO3 for both TA and CH. CaCO3 is used as the equivalent for pool testing by convention.

Is there a reason you're using a photometer versus Taylor reagents for testing?

Thanks JVTrain.

I chose this photometer when I took on my first pool 4 years ago because I figured that it would provide more accurate and consistent readings than a manual kit. Also, it offers the capability to test all the elements of water balance I need with one device whereas other options seem to require buying different kits for different elements. Did I choose wrong?! Are there downsides to photometers? I don't think Taylor test kits are available in the UK, but I'm sure there will be equivalents available.

All the best.

Photometers can work just fine, as long as they are frequently calibrated and verified for calibration. There is no substitute for reliability and accuracy for the FAS-DPD test for FC/CC. I strongly recommended having that test for maintaining your chlorine levels.

Thanks again JVTrain.

I confess that I've only had my photometer calibrated once since I got it, so will do that more frequently. Also, I've just ordered a set of test solutions for it that will apparently tell me whether or not it needs calibration.

Thanks for the advice!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.