"Sticky" sand deep clean question...

Jul 28, 2016
New Hampshire
The sticky thread is closed and I cannot post there...Everything I've read concerning a baquicil to chlorine conversion strongly advises changing the sand. I am 24 hours into the 48 hours of the final recirculating process and will soon be turning the filter back on. All the levels are currently balanced, water is more crystal clear than ever before!

I read all posts within the sticky and did not read one reference concerning a deep clean and a baquicil purge. I've been mind set to swap the sand which is a fraction of cost compared to the financial baquicil waste backwashed right out the flusher! I'm concerned that without swapping sand, deep flush or not, turning on the filter will then just send any residual baquicil that I've worked so hard to remove right back into my 17,100 gallons of paradise. Soooooo...

...swap sand as planned or will a deep flush will do the trick? The filter takes 100lbs of sand and I failed to mark the canister to signify the 100lb "full" mark. Therefore, with all the backwashing, I know some sand has been lost and starting fresh may be optimal to simply determine where exactly "full" is. No? The sand WAS new in the spring.

~TIA

I haven't looked yet at the article but you need to change the sand. It's one of the last steps in the conversion and should happen very shortly after you pass the OCLT.

Most filters have a "freeboard" of about 1/3 with the other 2/3's being filled with sand. Put in the 100 lbs suggested and you will be very close.

Re: "Sticky" sand deep clean question...

@Smykowski
Dunno if tagging works here like other forums...

Edit: guess not. Smykowski is who originated the deep flush sticky post. If someone could tag him here, or advise me how, that'd be great :)

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks duraleigh. I wasn't planning to sway from the plan and change the sand but I was open to suggestions after reading that post, and watching the attached videos. Check it out, informative in the least ?

Last edited:
Thinking logically that's exactly why I decided to definitely change it. Then I felt much better after my decision to learn that the sand media in there previously was actually play sand, not pool sand :-/

Thanks y'all ??

This pool is finally sparkling thanks to TFP!!!

Is it normal for pressure to just drop after being off? New sand pressure was at 17. It was up around 20 this morning when turning off the pump. Just now turning on for the night it's back down at 17 again. Is this a chlorine thing? Cause it didn't occur while on baquicil.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.