Can't seem to get ahead of this algae!

May 27, 2009
I have been reading Pool School for the past few weeks and have learned so much. However, I can't seem to get ahead of my algae situation.

Our problems all started after Hurricane Ike. We were out of our house for almost a month and were so busy with clean up and repairs around the house that the pool took a back seat. By the time cold weather started we decided to just wait until the beginning of summer to tackle the pool. BIG mistake!!!

About a month ago we started scooping out debris and got out a lot. After many trips to the pool store and I don't even want to think about how much money in chemicals, we found this forum. About two weeks ago we started using liquid bleach. Following the instructions in pool school and using the pool calculator we starting adding bleach every hour for two days straight. Also brushing and scooping. Then we had to go back to work.

So, for the next 5 days, we added bleach morning and night. Then the weekend came and we repeated the process of adding bleach every hour. The next 5 days, only morning and night. As of yesterday, the chlorine level was still not holding overnight. So today we actually got in that swampy mess and brushed and scooped until I couldn't lift my arms.

We are still getting out a little green sludge but not near as much as before. I just don't feel like we are making any progress. Here are my numbers as of today. I put in 7 gallons of Chlorox at 8pm last night and took a sample at 7am this morning. I am using a DPD test kit from Leslie's.

TC 3
CC 3
pH 7

We had the water tested at the pool store 5 days ago and here are those results:

FC 5.8
pH over 8.2
Hardness 150
Alkalinity 20
CYA 10 (I know it is low, but didn't know if I should put more in now or wait until we are not backwashing so much)

I would appreciate and advice I could get. My husband is threatening to stock to pool with catfish if we don't get it clear soon!

Welcome to TFP!

You need to deal with the high PH, low TA (alkalinity) and low CYA levels before you can make any real progress on shocking. I also strongly recommend getting a top quality test kit. You can't get good control over how your water looks without knowing what your levels are. The only practical way to do that is to test the water with your own test kit. I recommend a kit from TF Test Kits, see the link in my signature. The Taylor K-2006 is also good.

I agree with Jason. You need a more reliable way to test.

The fact that your CYA is so low means that most of your FC is being consumed by sunlight so you are unable to kill the algae, it's just growing back. You are on the losing side of this battle and you need get ahead of it. So read the article in Pool School - Defeating Algae, and it has the link to "Turning your Green Swamp into a Sparkling Oasis".

When your PH/TA and CYA issues are straight, follow the instructions in "How to Shock your Pool" and you should make some progress. But without a good test kit, you'll just be guessing and won't get very far.

Sorry for your troubles. Hope it gets better soon.

mjfoley62 said:
I paid $64 for a test kit from Leslie's that I have been using. What is the difference between the Leslie's kit and the TF kit?

Well, that depends. To me, it sounds like you are using a DPD test that only measures up to 5 FC (10 with dilution). It compares colors on a viewing tube... correct? (This would be the K-2005 equivalent.

The TF 100 kit, and the Taylor K-2006 kit, uses the FAS-DPD test and can measure up to 50 FC. It doesn't match colors, you are counting drops, (like the TA test) and noting when the solution turns from pink to clear. IT's much easier to use, no color matching, and much more precise.

You can order just the FAS-DPD test from TFTestkits and Taylor, seperately for around $25 and this will supplement the kit you have.

It's essential for clearing up algae blooms and when shocking your pool.

I got my test kit supplement for chlorine a few days and love it! I used the pool calculator to make adjusts on the balance. Here are my numbers as of this morning:

FC 13.5 ppm (FC was 18 last night)
CC 1 ppm
TA 100
pH 7.4
CYA 40

Pool is not green anymore but very very cloudy. I'm still shocking and brushing. I think I read on here somewhere that I should also be vacuuming to waste also but I can't seem to find it to reread it. Is that so?

Thanks guys! You have been a great help!

The primary thing you should focus on is keeping your FC at 16-20 constantly. All the other issues are periperal compared to the need to keep your FC up at that high level. That is what will clear your pool.

I would test at least twice daily, if not more, and each time continue to add chlorine to bring it right back up to where it was last time you tested.

Shocking is a process and keeping your FC very, very high (but not overly so) is what the process is all about.

Vacuum to waste only if there is visible matter on the bottom and you can afford the water loss. Otherwise, let your filter do it's work.

Still testing, shocking, brushing every hour. I'm still loosing about 2.5 ppm FC per hour. CC remains about 1 ppm. All while fending off friends and family who want to know when they can swim! I'm looking for some POP!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
mjfoley62 said:
Still testing, shocking, brushing every hour. I'm still loosing about 2.5 ppm FC per hour. CC remains about 1 ppm. All while fending off friends and family who want to know when they can swim! I'm looking for some POP!
hey, pass that pool brush around to all the wanna-be-swimmers and let them help! :mrgreen:

Get your lounge chair and your fav beverage, relax and feel confident. It will be all clear and sparkly soon :party:

Just wanted to give you guys an update. I'm still testing, shocking and brushing. Water is blue gray and cloudy. When I brush I'm still getting poufy clouds of green but not as much as a few days ago. Still keeping chlorine level around 16 - 18 ppm. Lost 4 ppm overnight last night. We go back to work tomorrow so I will only be able to test and shock twice a day. How long of keeping chlorine levels this high does it usually take to kill the algae?

How long of keeping chlorine levels this high does it usually take to kill the algae?
It is hard to pin down but 3 days to a week of constantly high chlorine will clear most pools.

In some ways, it doesn't matter because it's the only way to clear your pool. Keep the FC up there. If you can only test twice, bring the FC up to 20ppm in the morning and then up to 16 in the evening. This will help you maintain a high level during the day.

Surely I must be missing something here. My pool is still so cloudy I can barely see the first step. When I brush it turns a little gray and I am still finding these little green bug or worm looking things. I test and bring the FC up to 18 every morning. By the time I get home in the afternoon it's dropped down to between 3 and 5. I bring it back up again at dusk to 18. I'm still loosing about 3 or 4 ppm overnight. My CC is only .5 ppm for the past two days. Is it possible that because it is dropping so much during the day that the algae is growing faster than I'm killing it? We have had temperatures in the 90's with lots of sun for the past week or so.

I know it's been a while since I posted but I have just been waiting patiently for my pool to clear. Once we got past the green stage and was holding FC level overnight, I quit shocking and just waited for the cloudiness to go away. Yesterday I could finally see the third step. I thought we were getting somewhere. Now, I came home from work to find a green pool again!

sorry this wasn't brought up for you, but you're done shocking when you lose less than 1ppm fc overnight, your water is clear and your cc's are .5 or less. all 3, not just the fc loss test. I would like to recommend these criteria be added to the how to shock pool school article.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.