What is this "Paste" in my Robot Cleaner???

Jimrahbe

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 7, 2014
Bedford, TX
For the past couple of weeks, when I empty my robot cleaner, I've been finding this "paste". Looks like fine salt, but does not taste like salt. (and yes, I did taste it...) :?

It does bubble like crazy when MA is added. I assume calcium, and I assume coming from my SWG. I guess my question is could it be coming from the plaster?

Here are a couple of pics:

Robot Filter Residue.jpg

Like very fine sand.jpg

Here are my numbers:

FC = 6.0
CC = 0.0
PH = 7.8
TA = 90
CH = 440
CYA = 50
SALT = 4100

Unless this is a sign that something is wrong, then I can live with it.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Dave,

I get about the same amount you see in the pics every other day when I run the cleaner. About a tablespoon full. It has been pretty steady for the past couple of weeks since I got back from vacation.

I can't see it or feel it on the pool floor or walls. I don't "see" anything coming out the returns, but it is very fine and almost clear

Jim R.

Maybe erosion from your waterfall? Your pH and CH are a touch high, but it shouldn't be causing the CH to dissolve out of the plaster. Check any stone work you have around the pool and see if it is crumbly. Some natural stones do not play well with salt water and need to be sealed annually. Also lower your pH to around 7.2 and see if that helps.

Zea3,

Waterfall only comes on for 10 minutes a day, just to flush the pipes. Other than that it has not be in use lately.

I checked, and if there is any erosion due to the saltwater, it is not visually apparent. Plus, I was under the impression that if it were sand or rock dust, it would not have bubbled when I did the MA test.

I guess I could just shut the SWG off for a week, or so, and manually dose with Chlorine and see if the problem goes away.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.