Replacement Equipment Reccomendations

May 10, 2016
Sacramento, CA
Okay, prices for a remodel are just too high so at this point I am (foolishly) planning on replacing most of the pool equipment myself and I'm looking for recommendations. I am very comfortable working with AC and most everything that would be involved, but I am completely confused with all the options and variations that the different manufacturers have. I have no favorite manufacturer but I would like to keep everything with one brand. Currently everything is a mix of Jandy and Hayward but I am looking at Pentair for the replacement (but am open to all suggestions). Local power co. is giving a rebate for VS pumps and chosen vendor is having 20% off until tomorrow so I need to make a decision and get things going.

Current:

Controller: Jandy Ji-2000
Pumps (2, 1 for pool 1 for hot tub): Hayward Super II 3/4 hp pumps
Filter: Hayward Superstar 200 sq ft cartridge
All plumbing is 2" line

Considering:

Controller: Pentair Easytouch PSL4 Control System Base with Screenlogic (?)
Pumps: 1 Pentair 011018 IntelliFlo 3HP Variable Speed Pool Pump and 1 Pentair WF-3 WhisperFlo Full Rated Standard Efficiency 3/4HP Pool Pump
Filter: Pentair Clean and Clear Plus CCP320 Cartridge 320 sq. ft.

My first question is do I even get two different pumps; 1 VS and 1 3/4hp or should I just get 2 VS pumps (rebate is only good for VS pumps)
Second: Both of the current pumps are 3/4 hp but the Pentair VS is 3 hp...is this a problem or since they are VS can they be set for less?
Third: I'm not even sure what controller I should be getting. All I do know is that it won't ever be on line so I don't need to interface it with a network (we live in the country and can't even GET a good internet connection). I also haven't been able to figure out the price difference between the Easytouch PSL4 and the Easytouch 4 system other than the PSL4 (which seems to have more features) costs LESS than the 4.

Why does all of this make me feel so stupid? Other than that, any thoughts? Should I just forget this and wait until I can have the whole pool done? Thanks for any suggestions and hopefully not too many of you are laughing.

If this is a pool/spa combo the PSL4 can handle VS pump and 3 aux. The L stands for Lite, which is why it is less money. If you don't have WiFi forget about screenshot, you can go with there wireless controller or wired. The 3/4 pump on the spa is this a jet pump or circulation pump. Seems small for jet pump but depends on how many jets you have. Any pictures of existing pool and equipment could help

Why are you changing out the equipment? What is the motivation?

Most rebates I have seen are for the main circulation pump only but check with the power company.

Kadavis: Thanks for the info. The 3/4 pump is for the juts...there are only 4 or 5.

Mas: We wanted to remodel the entire pool but the price quotes seemed CRAZY expensive (50k+ for a remodel?!!). The equipment that we currently have is getting on in years and (in the case of the filter) seems too small (filter needs cleaning about every 2-3 months). The control panel is also failing, it may or may not turn on the pump at the programmed time. Every quote for the remodel included new equipment, especially when they see the controller that we have ("I didn't even know they made one smaller than the 3000") so in the effort to save some money, I was going to replace the equipment myself and just have the PB do the pebbletek.

I could have sworn that I had a previous post here talking about it but I can't find it now...

- - - Updated - - -

IMG_0797.jpg

This is what the pool looked like when we moved in...it's in good shape now but need the plaster replaced. We WISHED it would not be so...geodesic. We hate the shape (especially since we live in the country and have two ponds) but short of tearing it out and starting over (and we can't get anyone to give us that estimate)...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.