CYA fluctuating

RussellC

Bronze Supporter
Jun 3, 2016
Austin, TX
Hi, I have a question about the CYA test. When I go my new house the CYA was 50/60. It is an SWG pool. I tried to raise it to 70 to start so I don't overshoot it so I added 2 lbs cya in a sock in the skimmer. I finally tested it at 70 about 24-48 hours after adding. Now a week later when I test I'm lucky to get 50. I tried the standard 50 sample and I get near 50 every time. I have had to add about and inch or 2 of water since adding the CYA. I have also add a ton of calcium to increase that from under 200, can that take away CYA or is something consuming CYA or should I add more?

Numbers as of last night:

FC - 9
CC - 0
pH - 7.5
CYA - 50/60?
TA - 100
CH - 375

CYA does not fluctuate, testing does. Calcium does not consume CYA.

You say you have added water, is that because of evaporation or water leaving the pool through physical means, like back washing?

If you were in the 50/60 range and added two pounds, it is still there unless you pumped water out of the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.