Pump size

Apr 30, 2009
Can I down size to a 1 hp pump?

I have a 19600 to 22500 gallon pool, approx. 50 years old, no spa, no fountain. Looks like 1 1/2" plumbing, one skimmer, one floor drain and two jets. The longest plumbing run is 50'. The pump is 10' from the pool at the same level as the water. I replaced the existing pump about 4-5 years ago and I can not remember if I got a larger pump or what. I have a 1 1/2 hp A.O. Smith pump that needs the bearings replaced so I want to look at my options as far as more efficient pumps and thought this would be a good place to start.

Thanks for your help.

Trace

A 20k pool needs only 42 GPM for an 8 hour turnover so nearly any pump will be able to do that. But if you are looking for even more energy savings, consider a two speed pump. In fact, if your wet end is still in good condition, you might be able to just replace the motor with a two speed motor. You just need to match the braking HP (Label HP * service factor).

If you want to replace the whole pump, then there a lots of options depending on your budget. Pentair line up of pumps is a good place to start especially the Whisperflo series. WFDS-3 or WFDS-24 are both dual speeds with about the same performance just different labeling but will deliver well over 50 GPM depending on your plumbing. On low speed, about half the flow rate and energy use even with doubling the run time. Pentair also has cheaper less efficient pumps if your budget won't support the Whisperflo.

Thanks for your quick reply! I should have added this on my 1st post, not sure if it makes a difference, I have a pentair IC 40 SWG I'm going to have installed in a week or so.

I've looked at the pentair line of pumps, and I really like them. My brother has the 011012 VF pump and it's pretty awesome, but I'm not sure I would benefit from all of it's bells and whistles.

I haven't noticed many 2 speed pumps on ebay, can anyone recommend a good company to purchase from?

Looks like a single speed 1 hp whisperflo pump is 345.00 delivered on ebay.

Thanks again for your help.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.