Pump very slow to prime, appears to be tripping GFCI circuit breaker

Jun 8, 2016
Massachusetts
I have an Hayward 1hp SuperPump and it has been taking longer and longer to prime and "fire up" as the summer goes on. A couple months ago I would hear it click on, and then start pumping a few seconds later. If I turn it off and then back on it fires up quickly but now it takes 7-10 seconds to start pumping if it has been off for a few hours. Also, it often trips my GFCI circuit breaker before it has a chance to start pumping. Has anyone heard of this happening? The circuit trips even if it hasn't rained for days and everything appears perfectly dry. I am thinking I need a new pump. If so, does anyone have any recommendations? The current pump is 1 hp but I think I need 1.5hp for our 35-40k gallon pool. Possibly a variable speed depending on price and power savings.

Appreciate any advice in advance.

How old is the pump? Sounds like the bearings might be going out. Is the pump any louder than it used to be?

How old is the pump? Sounds like the bearings might be going out. Is the pump any louder than it used to be?

I am not sure how old the pump is, I just bought the home 6 months ago. I can't decipher the age from the label but I suspect it is at least several years old. I don't believe it is any louder than before but I've only been using it since we opened the pool in May. It just seems to take longer to start up.
Pool Pump Hayward SuperPump 1hp.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.