ET-1, ET-3 timers not controlling the main pool pump

I couldn't find any threads on Innovative Pools Inc ET-1 and ET-3 timers.

Filter Pump: Starite Max-E-Glas II
Booster Pump: Pentair Boost-Rite universal booster pump
Timers: Innovative Pools Inc ET-1 (I've recently swapped in ET-3s to try and fix the issue)

Issues:
- booster pump stays on unless I trip the breaker
- toggling the settings on the timer from "on" to "auto-on" to "auto-off" to "off" doesn't affect anything, pump stays on unless I trip breaker

Notes:
- I have two timers, one for the main pump and one for the booster pump.
- When this current issue arose, the booster pump timer was working fine: when the filter pump is tripped on, the timer could toggle the booster pump on or off as usual
- I swapped the booster pump timer (the "good" one) and the main pump timer (the "bad" one). The "good" one could not control the main pump either.
- When I swapped the two timers back to their original places, the "good" timer all of a sudden goes dead. No LCD display.
- I've bought new ET-3 timers from the same company and replaced the original two timers. Still cannot control the main pump.
- In addition, the new ET-3 timer connected to the booster pump LCD is not displaying, just like the old one.

If anyone has any experience good and bad with digital timers, particularly Innovative Pools Inc ET-1 or ET-3 timers, please share. As of now I'm just tripping the breaker on and off everyday to get some circulation, but the pool floor hasn't been vaccummed for a month now. I've just been doing my best with my nets.

I do realize my setup may be very old, if it is, let me know just how old. The system was already here when I bought my house. It's been working fine until just a month ago. Below are some photos of my setup.

IMG_20160729_090019.jpg

IMG_20160602_075559.jpg

IMG_20160729_085924.jpg

Hmm, it says I can't post anymore photos than this. Thanks again for anyone with feed back.

Some pool tech that came out said for me to just buy new timers and relays to test and rule out any of them. I've given in and bought new timers already, to no avail. I guess it's not the timers?

My guess would be the relays. Do you hear the toggle? Have you checked to see if the control line to the relay is powered on?

My guess would be the relays. Do you hear the toggle? Have you checked to see if the control line to the relay is powered on?

Your guess would be RIGHT!

So I had a pool tech come out and he explained how the box, breaker, relay and timer all worked together. He found that:

1. The breaker for the booster pump relay was not fully contacting the metal brick behind it. Part of the plastic that holds it in place was cracked, creating some space. Readjusted it and bam, we have power.

2. He hooked up all the pertinent wires to a new relay and all of a sudden the timer can control the circulation pump on and off again. Other timer can control the booster pump as well.

Learning experience for me. Part of diagnosing issues does involve having new parts to test. My line of thinking is what can I do to prevent a relay from doing the same thing again, but sometimes there is not much I can do to prevent it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.