Tried everything now at a loss.

Jul 23, 2016
Fayetteville
My apologies in advance as this is going to be a rather long post. I want to include as much detail as possible to give the proper information for a solution.

We got our pool 3 weeks ago (July 5), took 2 days to set up 3 days to fill as we are on a well and didn't want to stress out our pump.
I started with leveling the ph first using baking soda, as this seemed to be the information I was receiving that needed to be done first before anything else. After getting my ph to within level I then added a metal remover as we have well water. 24 hours later I started adding chlorine. Initially we used a tab that included trichlor. (financially at the beginning we were just trying to spend the bare minimum to get it up and running). I have a 3-way test kit (Aqua Chem OTO Test Kit) and strips (Aqua Chem 6-way) that I am currently using. Will invest in the TF-100 for next season. We are strapped now for this season with everything we have purchased so far for this pool.

We have only used the pool maybe 4 times in the past 3 weeks. I started noticing a green tint to the pool but the water was still clear. I thought it could be the metals interacting with the chlorine. My test readings were coming up within range. I took a sample of water to the pool place to see what the problem was. We are trying to use the BBB method as much as possible.

These were the results on 7/19
CYA - 0
TC - 0.8
FC - 0.1
pH - 7.7
TA - 124
CH - 3 (vinyl pool so not worrying about this)
Copper - 0
Iron - .2

At this point I added a stabilizer and hammered with chlorine (liquid KemTek Chlorinating Liquid) and 2 lbs of shock. A week later and there still seemed to be no progress.

I took a picture of the water and another sample to a different pool supply and these were the readings on 7/25

TC - 0.5
FC - 0.4
pH - 7.8
TA - 126
CH - 6
CYA - 20
copper - 0
Iron - 0
Phosphate - 982 (tons of rain)

We live in NC with 100 degree temps and now no rain for a week.

We purchased AquaChek Phosphate Test strips. I have added another stabilizer, still hammering with liquid chlorine and added a phosphate remover. Woke up the next day and the pool was no longer green and actually beautiful blue(YAY), but we now have brown stuff all over the floor of the pool. I added algaecide and am dealing with that making it's way thru the skimmer. We have been vacuuming for 3 days now. We have brown stuff coming out of the return whether vacuuming or not. We took some advice given on this forum and opened up the sand filter and ran water with a hose and loosened the sand until it ran clear. We then started the vacuuming process again and literally every 5 minutes we were having to do a backwash because the brown stuff was going into the pool from the return. We then switched to vacuuming to waste. We let it settle for 2 hours and vacuumed to waste again. We did a backwash and rinse and added a 121 oz of liquid chlorine to process overnight.

Woke up this morning to more brown stuff on the floor of the pool and its still coming out of the return when we turn the pump on.

I am now requesting help. I research everything and am currently at a loss. This forum has been a humongous help so far and I am hoping the experts here can give me some good news. At the rate I'm going pool season will be over and we will have not had the chance to enjoy our pool this year.

I haven't taken my current chemical readings because of battling the brown gunk. We are planning today to remove all of the sand from the filter and continuing to vacuum to waste and just during a recirculating on the pool until all the brown stuff is gone. Then add in new sand and rework the chemicals. I refuse to drain this pool and start over, as I said we are on a well and I don't want to chance over working the pump.

I'm hoping you guys have a better solution. I don't see how it could be the laterals as they are 3 weeks old and this brown stuff didn't start until we cleared up the phosphates. My husband thinks I'm over chlorinating it.

Hello
You have come to the right place. Welcome. It is obvious that you have done alot of reading and tried to get up to speed. In all cases, it is going to be difficult to help without a good test kit.

Others may have some insight in regard to if you have a metals issue since you have a well but you do have a lack of Chlorine issue.

At this point, you are probably going to need to SLAM and that will require one of the test kits.

If you want to confirm, you need to do a OCLT. Pool School - Perform the Overnight FC Loss Test (OCLT)

Here would be my steps:
1. Order a test kit & add 2-3 gallons of bleach now and then 1 gallon each day until kit comes.
2. Add enough CYA to add another 10ppm to what you have. 30 is the goal. Once you have your test kit, you can confirm you are at 30. If you are still under 30, you will add more CYA.
3. Receive test kit
4. Do OCLT
5. Test CYA and add if necessary as described in #2
6. If #4 fails, start SLAM
7. Git ready to start swimming

I just took readings with the kit and strips that I have. Like I said it will be at least 3 weeks before I can get the test kit you all recommend. I also took pictures of my pool.

Using my 3 way
pH- 7.8
Chlorine over 5.0 it was extremely yellow and 5.0 is as high as it will go

On the test strip
TC - over 10
FC over 10
CYA - 30
TA - 120
pH - 7.8

@poolDV, I understand on the baking soda, however that is what I used in my pool. I have tested my well water and it would not even register on the pH chart which is means it is very acidic. All I put in initially was baking soda and this has maintained my pool at the 7.8 pH level. I also have borax and have not used it. My pH reached the 7.8 level before adding any other chemical. I have read the entirety of the Pool School plus numerous other sites including many threads on this forum.

I am familiar with each chemical and it's purpose.

@mgmoore7. I added 121 oz of Liquid Chlorine last night and every night for the past 3 nights. My Chlorine numbers as of testing 10 minutes ago are more than my test will read.

I am also including 2 pictures I just took. The water color is gorgeous and clear except for the brown areas on the floor of the pool. So now my main problem seems to be why vacuuming is not getting rid of it and why my return puts it in the pool at pump start up. We will continue to vacuum to waste and replace the sand. I just don't see why this needs to be done after only having this pool 3 weeks. It's less in the pool than yesterday but it's very frustrating. We also lost 2 inches of water last night and there are no leaks in the vinyl or the pump/filter.IMG_0518[1].jpgIMG_0519[1].jpg

- - - Updated - - -

My apologies for the sideways pictures. I did take them right side up on my phone:eek:

Does the brown stuff look like rust? My guess is the high chlorine levels are precipitating the iron out. That's actually a good thing. Best way to get rid of it is turn the pump off at night and let as much settle as possible. Then vacuum the pool floor slowly to waste. You might have to do this a couple of night/mornings but it will clear your pool quicker and get rid of the iron. Otherwise you'll be slaved to adding metal free type products forever.

If you search my posts and go back about 3 pages you'll find my thread called green water on new fill and see pictures of the brown stuff I was getting.

Thank you for your response. Actually no, it looks like sand/dirt. I don't have any measureable iron in my water nor copper. This brown didn't happen until the day after adding a phosphate remover. My phosphate level now is below 200 and it was almost 1000. I will check out your thread however. I initially thought the green was due to metals but tests at two different places are showing .2 or zero on metal in the water. I believe most of the problem was not getting my chlorine high enough. I think that is resolved now.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.