Hayward Perflex EC-50 leak

May 31, 2009
Brand new to the site, I have been reading non stop and getting some great info. I recently took the filter head off my Hayward DE filter to clean the filter tubes. After putting it all back together I am getting a leak from the head to body gasket. I have the band tightened all the way but I am still getting a steady drip. The filter is only 3 years old. Before I take the head off again, is there something I should try or put on the gasket to help? I priced a new gasket and I am trying to avoid the $55 they want for it.

On a side note, this past winter I left the winter cover off...........huge mistake as the water was brutal. Through alot of work and reading on this site I now have it looking good with the BBB method.

Thanks
Dallara
24' round AG

hayward-filter-ec50.jpg

Dallara, welcome to TFP!!

Reopen the filter ASAP! I believe you may have pinched the sealing gasket and the sooner you fix that, the better the chance of not have ruined it :wink:

You'll want to inspect the gasket for pinches, dry rot or wear - it rarely happens to these, so lube it well with silicone or Teflon based lube and make sure it's properly seated before putting the lid back on 8)

I strongly doubt that you'll need a new gasket :) Just be sure that it's lubed and properly seated :goodjob:

Waste, thank you for the reply..........when you say Teflon or silicone based lube, this is different from a sealant, correct? I mean, at the end of the season when I take it apart to clean, the lube will come off fairly easy?

Thanks
Dallara

It's sold as 'pool lube' and may get a little gummy under certain conditions, but will not 'glue' anything in. It's important not to use petroleum based lubes, like Vasoline, because they attack and destroy the gasket material! :x

I hope fixing this small leak is the only trouble you have with the pool! Stop the drips and get in and enjoy the pool!! :-D

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.