Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hayward Perflex EC-50 leak

1. Back To Top    #1

Hayward Perflex EC-50 leak

Brand new to the site, I have been reading non stop and getting some great info. I recently took the filter head off my Hayward DE filter to clean the filter tubes. After putting it all back together I am getting a leak from the head to body gasket. I have the band tightened all the way but I am still getting a steady drip. The filter is only 3 years old. Before I take the head off again, is there something I should try or put on the gasket to help? I priced a new gasket and I am trying to avoid the $55 they want for it.

On a side note, this past winter I left the winter cover off...........huge mistake as the water was brutal. Through alot of work and reading on this site I now have it looking good with the BBB method.

Thanks
    Dallara
    24' round AG

18'x48' Intex Easy Set Inflatable Ring Pool (Soup Bowl Style)
    Above Ground, 5,455 Gallon, Filter Pump
    Central California

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Hayward Perflex EC-50 leak

Dallara, welcome to TFP!!

Reopen the filter ASAP! I believe you may have pinched the sealing gasket and the sooner you fix that, the better the chance of not have ruined it

You'll want to inspect the gasket for pinches, dry rot or wear - it rarely happens to these, so lube it well with silicone or Teflon based lube and make sure it's properly seated before putting the lid back on 8)

I strongly doubt that you'll need a new gasket Just be sure that it's lubed and properly seated
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

3. Back To Top    #3

Waste, thank you for the reply..........when you say Teflon or silicone based lube, this is different from a sealant, correct? I mean, at the end of the season when I take it apart to clean, the lube will come off fairly easy?

Thanks
    Dallara
    18'x48' Intex Easy Set Inflatable Ring Pool (Soup Bowl Style)
    Above Ground, 5,455 Gallon, Filter Pump
    Central California

4. Back To Top    #4

It's sold as 'pool lube' and may get a little gummy under certain conditions, but will not 'glue' anything in. It's important not to use petroleum based lubes, like Vasoline, because they attack and destroy the gasket material!

I hope fixing this small leak is the only trouble you have with the pool! Stop the drips and get in and enjoy the pool!!
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)