Aqua Rite T9 Low Chlorine

Jun 23, 2016
Knoxville TN
I started up my new pool several weeks ago and can't get the chlorine levels up. I've shocked the pool several times and had the water tested and everything looks good except the chlorine levels. I don't think there is anything wrong with the generator but not sure what I'm doing wrong. I'm wondering since it's been high 90's here in TN everyday since I started up the pool it's having trouble generating enough with the heat but shouldn't shocking it get the levels up? I'm also only running the pump during the day and have been told it's better to run the generator at night when it's cooler but I'm new to this and still learning. Right now the pump is running from 8:00 am till 9:00 pm and off at night so the generator is running at 100% during these hours and off at night as well. Should I reverse this I just assumed the pump needed to be running while people are in the pool but I don't know if that matters. Once again we have never had a pool before now and know zero about maintaining the chemicals other than using the test strips so forgive me for the lack of knowledge.

We need test results to determine what is happening and the name of the test kit you are using. We base all of our suggestions off accurate test results and there could be several things causing the FC to be low.

FC
CC
CYA
pH
TA
CH

You are only adding 2ppm of FC each day with those run times and that is not enough right now for your pool. Your test results will let us see if there is anything else you can do besides running the pump 24/7 to keep up with the chlorine demand.

Your pool really needs the T-15 sized cell.

I went through the same issue and concluded that my cell is too small based on TFP expert feedback (the cell size recommendation is 2-3 times the volume of your pool). Just ordered a generic T-CELL-15.

SWG FC Generation Level @100% / Super Chlorinating -

Also there is an awesome SWG calculator on this site (sorry do not have the link handy) and you may want to check

If you don't want to upgrade your cell, then consider adding liquid chlorine on periodically - which I have done last few weeks (12.5%).

Pool store results are rarely if ever trusted. A good reliable at home test kit is required for TFP methodology. Here is what use and recommend TFTestkits.net.

Your cell may be good for a 25,000 gallon pool if it is running 24 hrs/day. Most of run only for a fraction of that and that's the main reason why we recommend upsizing the cell to 1.5-3 times the size of your pool.

Here is a link to the donated SWG calculator and a way to calculate your cell's ability to add FC. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=4&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjS1uT8gJnOAhWBNiYKHaIYD4wQFgg2MAM&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.troublefreepool.com%2Fthreads%2F122980-Formula-for-SWG-Pump-Runtime&usg=AFQjCNEVuVuGlbwh7_5rxczTQWrWBm6frA

Your SWG is undersized. The 25000 is based on running it 24/7. TFP recommends 2-3 times, so something that is at least says 40k gallons, 60 would be better. I have a 40k gallon unit with a 12k gallon pool and wish I had a 60k unit so that I could run the pump less.

Here is a chart that will help you. Assuming a daily FC loss of 3ppm (2-4 is average), then you need to run your cell 16.4 hours per day at 100%.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.