Green Pool

May 30, 2009
Walden, Ny
Hi, I need help badly for my pool. I have a 17X32 inground pool with nature 2 system. I opened it up 2 weeks ago to find a seriously green pool.
I started with shock clarifier and algecide. I tried to vacuum what I could, but it was to green to see anything. After days of chemicals and testing with testing strips (all chemicals were out of wack) it became a lighter green. took a water sample to pool store.

the readings were as follows: free chlorine 10.0-tc 10.0- cc 0.0- ta 72- ph 7.5- calcium 170- cya 15- copper .5- iron 0. They told me to brush pool with socks and algaecide, then add 4lbs. of shock, then add 2 lbs of yellow rid. It will turn water cloudy white then just vacuum and then adjust chemicals and should be crystal clear. I did what they said and it was still green after 2 days. I took another sample back to be tested and the guy said copper was high and stabilizer was high. All he could tell me was drain pool 4 inches and add new water to dilute the stabilzer. Beyond that he couldnt tell me what to do.He didnt even give me the read out this time.

So I came home and shocked the pool again added algicide and clarifier and vacuumed and vacuumed and vacuumed. It is now a very pretty teal color. I can see on the low end sheets of algae i Pickup but I still cant really see the floor of the deep end. I vacuum about 3 times a day for the past 8 days. I dont know what else to do. Does anyone have any ideas to help me out?

By the way every time I add anything there are little white foam bubbles and a oil looking film on top of the water. Does anyone know why I have that? I have had the pool 5 years and never had a problem until now and I am lost and at my wits end.
Thank you

Welcome to TFP!

Your CYA level is a little too low, so you are losing a great deal of your chlorine to sunlight. You should raise your CYA level up a little to 30.

Shocking is not something you do all at once and then you are done. You need to maintain a consistently high FC level. See How To Shock Your Pool in Pool School.

Thank you for your help. I have started to read the suggested articles and will start on on the pool in about an hour. Another question I have been looking for the answer to and can not find. Could I just stop using the nature 2 filter and start the BBB method?

Ok an update on my pool. After reading your comments I immediately started the BBB method within days the pool was crystal clear. looks beautiful, Thanks for all your help.

As I mentioned on my last post I had small white foam bubbles, I was told by a friend it was from the alaecide I previously used (per advice of pool store) and that it will go away in a few days. Well as my luck is it has not gone away. In fact it has gotten alot worse. When the pump is off and no one is in the pool it is fine. As soon as anyone gets in bubbles start to appear. If the pump runs it looks like a washing machine on wash cycle with an overload of detergent. Can anyone help me with this? All help is greatly appreciated.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Elevate your chlorine levels and keep them up until the foaming disappears.....it may take a few days or a week but keep your FC up.

I would suggest at least 50% over normal but 100% over normal would be fine, too.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.