PoolingAround's get it right the first time thread!

The PH and TA work hand in hand. Lets get your pump fixed and we will work on all of your levels.

The new plaster will push that PH up and fast. MA is your best friend for a while.

:kim:

I think there may be some disconnect here. The pump is fine but there might be a leak somewhere in the pool that we are trying to diagnose. I will be turning the pump off 48 hours starting tonight (not before my daily acid and chlorine add mind you) and will mark the water levels to see how much we lose. I will also perform a bucket test just for my own sanity. If the pool chemistry starts going out of whack during the 48 hour no pump run then I will manually mix it around myself (yay!).

I think there may be some disconnect here. The pump is fine but there might be a leak somewhere in the pool that we are trying to diagnose. I will be turning the pump off 48 hours starting tonight (not before my daily acid and chlorine add mind you) and will mark the water levels to see how much we lose. I will also perform a bucket test just for my own sanity. If the pool chemistry starts going out of whack during the 48 hour no pump run then I will manually mix it around myself (yay!).

you could try to use the first night as opportunity to check for overnight FC loss as your SWG will be off for sure. Al you need is to take 2 FC readings:
- after sunset tonight and after your adjustments are mixed in
- before the sunrise tomorrow

and then subtract them. If your FC falls less than 1 ppm you still have clean water. This needs to be done starting at least at your min FC level of 4 ppm: if you have 0 FC it can't fall any further, can it? :)

After pool party blues.

pH - > 8.2?
FC - 1

In the process of adding chemicals, will report back soon.

Quick question, I add the chemicals in the deep end 30 minutes apart everytime. I then collect the sample on the other end because I feel that will be a true measure of the new additions spreading out to where they need to be. Sound reasoning?

New results in and I have to say I'm stoked.

FC - 4.5
CC - .5
TC - 5
ph - 7.6
TA - 90

Not bad if I do say so myself.

giphy.gif

The adding and collection places sound good to me. I tend to do the same thing but that is only because my chemicals are kept by the equipment so I add there. The other side is by the house so I just walk out and collect at the closest spot which just happens to be right across from the return.

:kim:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
34 hours no pump run time/chemicals. 1 inch drained from spa, little under an inch drained from pool and from the bucket (bucket test for evaporation is consistent with pool, not spa).

What I'm not looking forward to is how my levels are going to be once this test is done...............

Very-Nervous-GIF.gif

Well, just as I expected barely a hint of chlorine left after not running the pump for 2 days. . Just added a hold jug of it per pool math so we'll see how it goes. Water still looks good though.

you have unusually low expectations for chlorine / TFPC :)

It has 1 problem as you just found out- the Sun breaks it up (not lack of circulation) and you need to adjust it back regularly.

Yeah, I know it was the sun. I'm just happy the water didn't change colors on me but I guess that doesn't happen easily when your pool is maintained the TFP way. :cool:

it doesn't- nobody makes sudden moves: neither you nor water :)

I've been extremely happy with mine over last 1.5 years which spans my entire pool ownership experience. I just get weird feeling in pool store when I pass by mountains of pool products, somewhere deep in my mind I still have the question: what are those for :) ?

My ph is out of control as I can't seem to get it stable. Is it because I have a spillover that runs 10 hours a day? My chlorine is also getting murdered (adding almost a gallon a day because it always drop to 0 after 18 hours). I assume that's because we use it everyday and the pool sees sun the whole time its out.

Here is where I'm at now

FC - 5.5
TC- 6
PH - >8.2
TA - 110
CYA - 40

My ph is out of control as I can't seem to get it stable. Is it because I have a spillover that runs 10 hours a day? My chlorine is also getting murdered everyday (adding almost a gallon a day because it always drop to 0 after 18 hours). I assume that's because we use it everyday and the pool sees sun the whole time its out.

Here is where I'm at now

FC - 5.5
TC- 6
PH - >8.2
TA - 110
CYA - 40

pH raises for new plaster pool for at least a year- nature of the liner, you'll have to live with that.

Can you perform overnight FC loss test? You FC loss sounds high to me even taking into account bather load and sunny weather. FC loss test should reveal if you're losing FC to something else, besides the Sun.

Yes, stop running that, or run it an hour or less per day. Also, your TA is high-ish. Getting that down to 60-80 range will help slow pH rise. Adding acid to lower ph will slowly lower TA. Or you can do it faster here, Pool School - Lower Total Alkalinity

Raise CYA to 60 to help with FC loss to the sun.

HMM, so if I aim for 7.2 ph while having the spillover going the whole time, it will kill two birds with one stone?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.