PoolingAround's get it right the first time thread!

Man, I hate to hear that. Yeah, 1/2 to an inch of water loss is a leak.

I would not have anyone in my pool at pH 8.2 and 0.5 chlorine. Here is what you can do. Add the acid, brush the entire pool. If it doesn't take 20 minutes, brush it twice. Measure pH in 2 different places. If in the 7s, add enough chlorine to get to target. Brush the whole thing again (or twice, I bet you are catching on) . This is assuming the water is clear to start with. If it's cloudy, there is nothing to do but add some bleach, brush and figure out your leak situation.

Man, I hate to hear that. Yeah, 1/2 to an inch of water loss is a leak.

I would not have anyone in my pool at pH 8.2 and 0.5 chlorine. Here is what you can do. Add the acid, brush the entire pool. If it doesn't take 20 minutes, brush it twice. Measure pH in 2 different places. If in the 7s, add enough chlorine to get to target. Brush the whole thing again (or twice, I bet you are catching on) . This is assuming the water is clear to start with. If it's cloudy, there is nothing to do but add some bleach, brush and figure out your leak situation.

Keep in mind I can't run the pump. Still add the acid and chlorine, or wait?

Also, pool is clear as can be, for whats its worth.

I am less comfortable about adding acid and mixing with brushing alone versus adding bleach and mixing with just brushing. That being said I would do it, 8.2 is high for pH and possibly higher given the upper limit of the test. I would add small amounts of acid and brush thoroughly.

It would have been best to resolve all leaks and plumbing issues before starting, I hate to say.

Ok, so the pool builder says they want 48 hours with the pumps off so I negotiated not doing it tomorrow and starting Wednesday afternoon. That means I can get the pool water ready to go for tomorrow's afternoon party. I just added a little under a quart of muriatic acid and will check in 30 mins. If the ph levels drop I will then add 38 ounces of 10% bleach (liquid chlorine actually) per pool math recommendation and check in 30 minutes until I get a FC rating of 2.

david_what_do_you_think.gif

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
FC must be maintained above minimum for your CYA at all times to keep the pool sanitary and algae free. [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA] Make sure FC is 1 or 2 above minimum when the SWG turns on for the day. It is safe to swim with FC up to shock level for your CYA.

Looks like I misspoke. I have a chlorine test of 2 ppm.

Is it safe to say that if my CC is 0 then my FC is 2 as well?

That means I'm not up to snuff yet since this page below made me do an about face (says target level of 5 to 6 FC with 45 cya).

If your pump is off your SWG is off so you should use part of the chart related to non- SWG pools for now. That means FC 6+ and no lower than 4ppm (50 ppm CYA line)

No salt for another 10 days so still in chlorine mode.
'

even more so- the SWG part of the chart relates to actively working SWG as it seems to hold things at bay better than 'manually' chlorinated pool. When SWG is off for one reason or another it becomes normal pool from FC/CYA chart point of view therefore your FC is too low. Please note it's not the salt which improves FC effectiveness in SWG pools it's the working SWG cell itself.

Definitely add chlorine. I would aim for 5 or even 6 ppm if you're going to have a number of people in the pool. Add some and brush to mix. Add some more and brush some more.

You can add a bit of acid the same way but, without the pump, I would definitely allow a few hours between adding chlorine and adding acid, just to be on the safe side.

ETA: sorry. You should be at 5 or 6 ppm anyway. Aim a bit higher (7 or 8) if you have company coming.

Ok, I got FC up to 3 (added half gallon of liquid chlorine) before the pool party. Not up to TFP standards but at least its better than the 1.5 reading last night.

My question is, some people say here its safe to swim up to almost shock levels of chlorine. That seems a bit high no? I would have to add like 3 to 4 gallons of chlorine to get it that high. Also, if no one new about TFP and was just using the basic chlorine tester and saw it was in the ideal yellow (1-3 ppm) range, they would have no idea that their FC was high enough to fight off algae, right?

Lastly, my PH woes continue. Went from 7.8 last night to 8.2 in the morning. Didn't have any acid so its going to have to stay that way for the day until I get some tonight. Any clue as to why my PH keeps rising (aside from the obvious answer of not adding enough acid)?

Ok, I got FC up to 3 (added half gallon of liquid chlorine) before the pool party. Not up to TFP standards but at least its better than the 1.5 reading last night.

Your FC is below your safe min level of 4 ppm. You've been warned, it's your call.

My question is, some people say here its safe to swim up to almost shock levels of chlorine. That seems a bit high no? I would have to add like 3 to 4 gallons of chlorine to get it that high.
It is safe to SLAM level, you are not going to get chemical burns or anything of that sort.

Also, if no one new about TFP and was just using the basic chlorine tester and saw it was in the ideal yellow (1-3 ppm) range, they would have no idea that their FC was high enough to fight off algae, right?
Correct, and they regularly end up here with green cloudy water. Sometimes they pass through nearby pool store before that to leave money surplus over there and make unimaginable chem mix out of their water. Chemistry as a science is applicable when you have limited number of ingredients in your water. When someone adds 5+ pool store products to the water each of them often mixes on their own nobody will be able to predict reactions or their outcome. So those poor souls often end up draining their pools so things would start to make sense.

Lastly, my PH woes continue. Went from 7.8 last night to 8.2 in the morning. Didn't have any acid so its going to have to stay that way for the day until I get some tonight. Any clue as to why my PH keeps rising (aside from the obvious answer of not adding enough acid)?

You have fresh plaster, correct? If so this problem will continue for at least a year, this is normal. Just keep adding correct amount of MA to adjust.

Your FC is below your safe min level of 4 ppm. You've been warned, it's your call.

Should I have my wife add another qt before 11am? Is it unsafe or just low on algea fighting level?

It is safe to SLAM level, you are not going to get chemical burns or anything of that sort.

Good to know, just red eyes?

Correct, and they regularly end up here with green cloudy water. Sometimes they pass through nearby pool store before that to leave money surplus over there and make unimaginable chem mix out of their water. Chemistry as a science is applicable when you have limited number of ingredients in your water. When someone adds 5+ pool store products to the water each of them often mixes on their own nobody will be able to predict reactions or their outcome. So those poor souls often end up draining their pools so things would start to make sense.

Glad I'm ahead of the curve.

You have fresh plaster, correct? If so this problem will continue for at least a year, this is normal. Just keep adding correct amount of MA to adjust.

Yup, so good thing I have an acid dispenser I don't know how to use.....yet, LOL

Should I have my wife add another qt before 11am? Is it unsafe or just low on algea fighting level?
I wouldn't take my chances and bring it to at least 6 ppm, you won't be able to tell the difference anyway.

Good to know, just red eyes?

I personally never swam at SLAM level as I never had a need to be at that level to begin with. I also never read here anyone complaining about red eyes. Do you have particular reaction to chlorine or just heard about it?
Another possibility for red eyes is other things in the water besides chlorine. This often happens when FC is too low and I'm afraid if you keep your current approach you might fall into that category and then conclude that even low FC caused your red eyes. You need to be more scientific about this. TFP method requires balanced water and good circulation/filtering. With this conditions nothing biological can live in the water and only FC loss you're going to see is from the Sun. If you let it fall too low bacteria might get a chance and FC will start getting consumed by killing them. Both bacteria and products of FC killing them are much more irritating to the eyes although for slightly different reasons. Combined with you pump not running (and filter not working) I really not getting your logic.

Glad I'm ahead of the curve.
You are- you haven't made chemical mess out of your water and now you can actually see what's in it. It would be great if you put your test kit name in your sig. It took me sometime to scroll back to find out what you're using to get your numbers.

Yup, so good thing I have an acid dispenser I don't know how to use.....yet, LOL
I'm sure you'll get help from someone here soon. Have you got your pump working? That would be my biggest concern atm.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.