Just getting started

definitely go with a salt water pool, definatley low maint to us so far... my pool builder strongly recommends salt water pools, after reading on here about flagstone, we went with travertine coping, it was like a $1200 upgrade for us and it was well worth it..... we also went with the pea-gravel decking, honestly we always have kids in our pool so they are always splashing water so our deck stays wet enough that this hot texas weather has not bothered us walking on it, our patio is about 5 ft away from the pool so under it stays shaded.

Returns move the water. IF they are plumbed right, more can be better. If they are not plumbed right more does not matter. Ask how they are going to plump them and post the info here.

:kim:

Last edited:
Help! So, the PB began excavation yesterday on our pool (Day 1). Deepest depth is suppose to be 5 ft. Well, they came knocking at our door and said they did not get to virgin ground till they hit 8 1/2 feet. They are claiming we will have to pay another $6800 for the additional excavation cost. They have to dig out, haul off the junk dirt, then back fill it.

They claim that the home builder used a bunch of junk dirt to build up our property and if they don't dig down to the proper soil, we run the risk of our pool dropping. Have anyone else had this issue?????

Unsure of what to do at this point.....

How old is your house? Can you verify this with builder or get original grade info? Fwiw, you could hire a hydrogeologist to drill some core samples and give you a second opinion if you for any reason distrust the vendor.

I will say that I am familiar with a couple of developers who have engaged in this practice. In one case, rubble backfill was used in a flood plain near a former landfill that also had a vein of peat moss running through it. Many in that particular subdivision ended up getting methane venting into their homes.

Since the cost differential is pretty substantial, a second opinion by a non-biased 3rd party such as a hydrogeologist might give you the best way forward. If the excavator is correct, though, this will then increase your cost.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That certainly happens. I'm amazed at what people will build houses on in DFW. We already have enough issues with clay soil and movement. I've watched time and again builders bulldozing dirt into a pile many feet tall and building a house in top of it with no work to allow the soil to settle, compacting it, using piers or anything else.

Just to echo what swampwoman says a bit about not trusting your PB. If you don't trust them then maybe you should find another PB who you do trust.

Your pool will likely weigh between 150,000 and 200,000 lbs, it needs to be on on a good base.

Thank you for the feedback.

So, our home was built in 2015.... and we were just removed via FEMA (March 2016) in our area, flood plain. I don't disagree that the home builder probably did built up our lot with junk dirt....but I would think the PB would have brought information out in pricing the pool dig...or said something...even put that in writing. Too me...it was their error. ?!?

If they knock on my door for money..... I like the idea of a hydrogeologist thou... then the PB will have to determine if they will hold on the excavation or proceed with their crew... I am sure to pull them off the job would be a nightmare.... I reviewed our contract terms and no where does it talk about over digging, back filling and a cost... So, I think I am going to raise a stink and see where that leads... UGH....

Has anyone else had experience with a PB, asking for more money during excavation?
To me...the contract is signed and sealed...and I don't feel we should pay a penny more, unless we change on the design... is that wrong to think that way?

They are on day 2 of excavation... so, we are already in deep (LOL).... not sure we can back track with a new builder now. As of this am.....they are hauling in a sand mix to back fill from the removal of the junk dirt... And, no knock on my door for additional funds. You would think they would come back to the home to get this squared away before they move forward.

But, I wish I would have known about the hydrogeologist first... what a good idea. Dang!

I hope this is not a shady used car sales deal... Bleh! :mad:

It is fairly common to have cost overruns on digs. There is no way to know what is there until the dig begins. If anyone is wrong it is the home builder or the developer for dumping their fill in the yard.

Ask for a cost breakdown supporting the additional costs. Manpower and equipment to overdig and load out. Trucking and tipping fees, per load, to get rid of the spoil. Cost per ton of imported material.

You'll calculate the overdig in cubic yards and the sand backfill will probably be ticketed in tons. For a quick and dirty estimate multiply cubic yards times 1.5 to get tons.

I built my pool myself, and my complete excavation cost $1800, I can't imagine that it would cost anywhere near what they are quoting you. Further, if it wasn't covered in your contract, they should have had you agree to the additional work prior to actually doing it, or they run the risk of footing the bill themselves. You can offer them a "bone", in order to settle the amount.. something like 1500 I would say, which should be plenty. Otherwise, you can tell them to "pound sand" if it is not in your contract about the overruns, and they did not ask for your permission and discuss it prior to digging, its their own problem. Heck, if it was rock and they had to use a jack hammer, the costs probably would not have been that exorbitant.

If you can't agree, I am sure they are licensed with the Contractor's Board in your state, and a phone call to the board might help. They will typically send someone out to evaluate the entire situation, including the up-charge. No company wants the Contractor's Board to start getting involved.

Thank you!!!! I told the PB Project Manager this am...and said it crystal clear that we will not pay $6800 for the extra labor, it was not in our contract anywhere about a possible over dig cost...and we need to know every bit of cost to justify to even make a consideration to give one more dime that what we do not have in our contract. He said he was going to call his "office" to get it worked out... Funny...its almost closing time and I have not heard a word from their office.

They have not pulled the crew off the job yet....The pool labor is still moving forward....

Wylie2016,

We just completed a pool in Rowlett at the end of August. Our contract contained a stipulation in possible costs increases if they hit rock or if the excavation caved in due to rain after the dig and before the gunite. However both costs were detailed in the contract. My advise would be that if they are trying to sucker you on the initial excavation, don't give in as you will open the floodgate for more....

Good luck!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.