White Ring Around Water Line & Brown Ring Around Pool Bottom - Help?

Mar 30, 2015
Cleveland, Ohio
Pool has been up and running for about a month now with no issues, but in the last week, I noticed a faint brownish ring start to appear around the bottom of the pool. At first I thought it was my eyes playing tricks on me, but then I got a pair of goggles on and dove down and I can clearly see it. It brushes off easily if I rub it with my hand and doesn't feel slimy. It not around the entire pool, but it's basically in the corner where the wall meets the floor throughout I'd say around about 50% of the pool.

The other issue I noticed maybe in the last two days is a white line at the water line on the vinyl liner at the top of the pool. Again, this rubs out if I brush my hand against it, but then it appears again.

Just tested the levels in the pool this PM if that helps. I'm at:

FC: 5
CC: 0.5
CYA: 40
Ph: 7.5

I also run the pump filter on low 24/7 to circulate the water. We are in the process of building a deck around the pool so have been tracking in more dirt than usual because of that and I have definitely been negligent in vacuuming (we have a manual vacuum that hooks to the filter system). I've been running the vacuum maybe once or twice a week. Water looks very clear to me and I've keep the chlorine levels as close to 5 as I can in the last few weeks, just worried I'm starting to see a problem with these stains.

And, it seems rather stupid to say this now, I also used some old dirty paver stones to hold our pool ladder into place for the last two weeks until it could be secured to the new deck. I wrapped them in several layers of garbage bags, but they did have some moss on them and now I'm wondering if I introduced something into the pool by having those stones sitting on top of the ladder and in the water (which, yes, seems really dumb now that I think about it, but at the time, they were holding the ladder down from floating away and I didn't have any other options on site).

Anyway, any thoughts would be helpful! Thanks!

How often are you brushing your pool. And how are you chlorinating?

I don't brush much. Probably only once in the last month. Maybe twice. Should I be doing it more? I wasn't sure if it was just normal build up on the walls and I should just brush it off and let it get vacuumed and filtered up or if it's a sign of a worse problem.

I chlorinate with liquid chlorine. I test nightly and then add with a measuring cup as needed to keep it hovering around 5.

Yes, brush weekly-ish. Brush those spots daily for a bit a see if it helps. Is your daily chlorine usage about the same?

I was telling my husband it feels like I am starting to use a bit more chlorine than normal, but I've just been daily testing with the basic residential kit (the one marked OT that I use to test pH as well) and I've noticed it giving me lower than normal results). I'm gonna try doing the FC test for the next few days and see what it gives me. Tonight I did both and got 5 on the FC test and got 2 on the basic test (or at least that's what the color looked like, so I wonder if that's where the problem is.

(or at least that's what the color looked like, so I wonder if that's where the problem is.
Well, sort of. The simple OTO test is never very good for really accurate FC levels. It should be used as a daily test to let you know that your pool is ABOUT the same FC level as yesterday......but then you really need the FAS/DPD (powder) test to tell you exactly what that number is.

So, use the powder test to get your exact FC level (in your case, 5 is good) and then see what that looks like on the OTO test and always look for that same shade everyday when you use the OTO.

If, after a few days (or many days), it seems a little lighter to you, run the FAS/DPD test to make sure you are staying around 5 ppm.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.