Reducing pH and TA

Jun 27, 2016
Ithaca, New York
Hello! Our pH is creeping up and our TA is off the charts. Pool math says to add Buame muriatic acid pr dry acid. We have a pool store product called pH reducer - is that the same thing? That is all the store had (they don't sell muriatic acid. If it's not the same thing, how do I know how much to add? Thanks all.

FC 5 (before adding bleach)
CC 0
pH 8.0
TA 200
CH 250
CYA 80

Liz

The PH Down product you have is likely dry acid. Can you look at the active ingredient?

Muratic acid is found at big box stores like lowes and Walmart in the paint section. Yep. The paint section.

Can you please advise on how your TA became so high? Is it from the well water? If not, then reducing your PH every few days or each week will lower your TA. This process will take some time until your pool finds the best combination. I had to go from 140 down to 70 before my PH stabilized. What really helped was the rain and snow from this past winter. I pumped it back into the pool. This year, after the 3rd addition of MA, the PH finally stabilized.

Muriatic Acid is really not that hard to work with. A few precautions:

1) Wear a long sleeve sweatshirt
2) Wear thick gloves
3) Wear a breathing mask and eye protection

If you feel that this will be an every week process, then take a few strong Pellegrino green small bottles and fill each up with MA. It is easier to work with a set amount, but one bottle should be able to reduce your PH from 7.8 to 7.2 and then you can repeat the cycle when needed. Always, and I repeat Always do any type of MA additions, etc. outside in the fresh air. Pouring out of a small bottles is easier to do. Always pour in front of a return while pump is running for at least 3-4 hours. Store in a very safe place away from children and animals.

I really have no idea how it got so high. It's been high since we started testing. Have had no time to work on it yet, hoping to get to it this week.

If possible, please test your fill water so at least you have an idea. Outside of this, please add either MA or dry acid to lower the PH to normal ranges. Once your PH is adjust to your preference, please track the PH and determine how many days before it creeps back up again. Then, adjust one more time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.