Getting ready to do some cutting, how much to drain?

Jul 10, 2016
Boaz, KY
The pool, Bestway 14x42 Metal Frame with 1.25" nipple hose fittings and small cartridge pump. Now that I have all of my needed Intex parts, I plan to install our sand filter this weekend. I will be cutting the liner to fit the Intex large fittings (three of them). Do I need to drain the whole pool to relieve stress on the liner while installing these? I want to drain to just below the fitting levels, but, am having nightmares about marking the pool, then it blowing out as soon as the knife makes the first incision. What have those of you who have been through this done?

One other question, I have not yet purchased the PVC parts needed. I'll be making my Intex adapters using the Dura brand PVC spa bushings, which will allow me to go with either 1.5", or 1.25" plumbing. The filter is the Intex 14", 2650 GPH sand filter. Which size would be best to use?

Thanks,
David

Made the cuts today, and, almost have the install complete! The cuts, only took a few minutes, after draining the pool to just below the fittings. None of those leaked, and of all leaks to have, it was at the last joint I did. I honestly think it was my impatience that caused it. It's on the inlet jet side, where I glued a section of PVC flex pipe to a ball valve. I only waited maybe 15 minutes before turning the valve and letting water get to the joint, I was too excited to try everything out. Luckily, with it being flex, and, I left a few inches extra length, I was able to cut just past the joint and pull the rest out with a pair of pliers. I am thrilled though, at the performance the filter gave while I did run it. The bugs and surface floaties were flying into the over the wall skimmer. I tried the skimmer with the second return closed, and, I'm glad I went ahead and plumbed the second return in. With just the skimmer turned on, it was sucking air in and pulling the floating ring under.

I was hoping to have it fully up and running by this evening, but, got a late start today. I also had to keep leaving the project, to help my wife and son with their issues while doing the yard work for me today.

David

Success! I brought the leaky section in last night, was able to get the flex pipe out of the ball valve, cleaned up the joints good, reglued it, and went to bed. First thing this morning, I reattached everything, added some water, and, no leaks! It'll be completely refilled, up, and running by lunch time. I'll post up some pics of my conversion later today.

David

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.