Large drop in Calcium Hardness..Should I correct it?

Nov 13, 2007
South Florida
We have had lots of rain down here in FL. and my latest test with a taylor 2006 and the local pool store confirmed my CH @ 180. Last season my CH was 320 but I have taken a lot of water out of the pool in the last 3 weeks. I used the pool calculator and the it gives me a CSI of -0.27 balanced.

Here are my numbers and pool facts.
FC 5
Ph 7.6
CH 180
TA 110
CYA 80
Salt 3200
Water temp 85F
15000 gal pool, plaster, SWG., cartridge filter.

The CH is under my goal but should I correct it or will time correct it for me?

I have also started using Polyquat 60 @ 4oz a dose once a week during these frequent heavy rains for the last 3 weeks. Could this have any affect on the CH?

On a side note I have tried to lower my TA by dropping the ph with Muratic acid and aerating with little success.

Thank you

whowouldfigga said:
Here are my numbers and pool facts.
FC 5
Ph 7.6
CH 180
TA 110
CYA 80
Salt 3200
Water temp 85F
15000 gal pool, plaster, SWG., cartridge filter.

The CH is under my goal but should I correct it or will time correct it for me?
The only way it will rise is if your plaster starts to dissolve which is not what you want.
I have also started using Polyquat 60 @ 4oz a dose once a week during these frequent heavy rains for the last 3 weeks. Could this have any affect on the CH?
It shouldn't
On a side note I have tried to lower my TA by dropping the ph with Muratic acid and aerating with little success.
What was not successful? If you drop the pH, test the TA, aereate until the pH rises and repeat the process untill the TA tests to where you want it it is always successful. It might take many repetitions untll the TA starts to move and more until it's on target but the process always works. Leaving your TA at 110 ppm is going to lead to pH stability issues for you.

I find it very strange that your CH lowered from the rains but your CYA and salt did not. Something is not right here!

waterbear said:
whowouldfigga said:
I find it very strange that your CH lowered from the rains but your CYA and salt did not. Something is not right here!
[/color]

You are very observant. My CYA and Salt were high. My CYA was @120 and my Salt was at 3200 before the rain started. I took advantage of the rain. I dumped the water and got my CYA to 80 and my salt dropped to 2700. I added 50lbs of NaCL and brought it up too 3200. Unexpectedly I lost my CH as well.

Should I try to correct the CH or the TA first.

There is need to do anything right away, but if your test results are right you will need to add CH at some point.

I wouldn't worry about the TA level unless you are having problems with PH rising too quickly.

JasonLion said:
There is need to do anything right away, but if your test results are right you will need to add CH at some point.

I wouldn't worry about the TA level unless you are having problems with PH rising too quickly.
With a SWG I suspect you will.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.