Debris on Bottom of Spa--New Pool Owner

Jul 28, 2016
Dallas, TX
Hi-

Moved into our houses a couple months ago. My pool is doing pretty well and I've got the Polaris running a few hours a day and everything looks clean.

However, my spa has some debris on the bottom and I'm not sure how to get it out save just getting in, going under the water, and grabbing it by hand. Should my drain in the spa be getting this? Is there more equipment I need to get this stuff?

Do I need to put it in "spa mode" (I don't know if that's a real thing...) to get that stuff sucked down the drain?

The Pool and Spa work off the same pump.

Thanks for the help

You should have a spillover mode which pulls water from the pool and returns it to the spa. This usually works for me to lift the debris out of the spa and put it into the pool where the skimmers and/or cleaner can remove it. Some controllers allow you to program a specific spillover time so the spa gets chlorinated water and flushes debris to the pool.

So, during the day when my pump is running the spa does spillover into the pool. Not sure if that's the same thing as what you're saying. I had a pool guy give me a quick run through of the equipment when I first moved in, and I just remember him pointing to the valves and saying something about the spa mode...But since I don't know what i'm doing I don't want to go back there and start turning stuff on and off.

Sometimes the spillover mode is not enough to clear the debris. It can get stuck in the main drain if you run in spa mode. To me spa mode is really only useful when using the spa and you want to heat it. Other than that, I would stick with pool or spillover modes.

Sometimes the spillover mode is not enough to clear the debris. It can get stuck in the main drain if you run in spa mode. To me spa mode is really only useful when using the spa and you want to heat it. Other than that, I would stick with pool or spillover modes.

Gotcha, thanks for letting me know that. The previous owners removed the heater because it broke, so I don't have to worry about heating it up!

However, since the spillover during the day doesn't seem to be getting this stuff out I'm assuming I just need to get in there? Not a big deal...just wanted to know if I wasn't running something correctly with the spa.

I've tried using the skimmer to get it everything float up, but the floor of the spa is an awkward shape and it makes it hard to really get into the corners that I need.

Appreciate the help

Your floor drains in your spa usually don't work unless you are in spa mode. You want to run your spa in spa mode at least once a day to get fresh chlorine into the pipes. Run your spa jets if they are on a separate pump and also your blower if you have one during this time. I run the spa mode for 15 minutes each day along with the spa jets for 5 minutes and blower for one minute during this time. I have this programed so it is automatic everyday. If you don't do this and don't use your spa everyday you will get a burst of nasty stuff when you go into spa mode when you want to use it.

Your floor drains in your spa usually don't work unless you are in spa mode.
Yes but you really don't want to use your MDs if you have leaves. Small dirt works fine but leaves will quickly clog the MDs.

Run your spa jets if they are on a separate pump and also your blower if you have one during this time
I never do. That is waste of energy.

Your floor drains in your spa usually don't work unless you are in spa mode. You want to run your spa in spa mode at least once a day to get fresh chlorine into the pipes. Run your spa jets if they are on a separate pump and also your blower if you have one during this time. I run the spa mode for 15 minutes each day along with the spa jets for 5 minutes and blower for one minute during this time. I have this programed so it is automatic everyday. If you don't do this and don't use your spa everyday you will get a burst of nasty stuff when you go into spa mode when you want to use it.

Does this apply to my situation since my pool and spa share the same pump? When the pump runs the spa is always spilling over to my pool. I assume that means it's getting return water from the filter/equipment? Which means it should be chlorinated, right?

Thanks for the help

- - - Updated - - -

Yes but you really don't want to use your MDs if you have leaves. Small dirt works fine but leaves will quickly clog the MDs.

I never do. That is waste of energy.

Didn't see your reply...thank you!

Well you do what you want but when I first got my pool/spa and didn't do this the spa would turn cloudy for the first 5 minutes probably due to algae in the pipes. I don't think the extra energy to run the one pump for 15 minutes and blower costs very much.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If you get a lot of leaves and such in your spa you can buy a decent spa cover. I have a custom three piece cover that SpaMate made for $500 dollars for my 900 gallon spa. Keeps the spa warm also once I close the pool in the fall and only keep the spa open.

If you get a lot of leaves and such in your spa you can buy a decent spa cover. I have a custom three piece cover that SpaMate made for $500 dollars for my 900 gallon spa. Keeps the spa warm also once I close the pool in the fall and only keep the spa open.

Gotcha, thank you very much!

There's not a LOT of leaves...mainly debris that makes it look a little dirty on the floor. Water is clear, like the pool.

when I first got my pool/spa and didn't do this the spa would turn cloudy for the first 5 minutes probably due to algae in the pipes.
That was probably plaster dust. Common in new plaster pools.

I have never had algae get into my pipes. If you keep FC at the proper level, algae spores should never make it down to the pipes at the bottom of the spa from the surface where they originate even if they have no water flowing through them but since algae needs at least some light to grow, that would probably be the last place you would see algae start anyway.

However, if you allow the FC to get too low and do have an algae bloom, the I would run the SLAM through all the pipes to make sure you get rid of it.

It wasn't new plaster. But go ahead and not flush your spa pipes out for weeks at a time and take your advice. I'm trying to help people here so I'm not going to respond to you anymore.

I see you have compool automation system. On the outside panel you will see at top a button labeled auto/service, push the down arrow and service light will come on. Below that you will see label for spa/fill/drain, push until you get light on drain. Now hit the P button which may be labeled filter pump, now take your brush on pole and sweep spa dirt to drain. Tip- What you are doing is running spa suction without spa jets, so spa will be draining into pool. So be quick and good luck. Put back in auto when you finish

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.