Alum worked... kind of. Suggestions?

May 31, 2009
Louisa, VA
So, I've got a first-class swamp... an 18x34 above-ground pool that was built two years ago and then (due to separation and divorce) neither filtered nor covered nor treated for two years. I've been working on it for about a week--shocking daily, algaecide, got the pH balanced, etc. I went by Leslie's yesterday, and they suggested I try Alum since the water wasn't clearing. So I broadcast 10 lbs. of alum last night and let it sit.

Well, it worked! Kind of. The water is quite clear now, but instead of sinking to the bottom, most of the algae and organic matter seems to have risen to the top as a sort of greenish foam. So I'm no trying to figure out how to get it all out. I tried a shop-vac, which worked really well. However, it only cleared about 1 foot square before filling up. Obviously not practical.

Then I tried setting the filter to "waste" and sort of guiding the foam into the skimmer with the leaf net. This actually worked reasonably well, and I got about half the foam (by volume) out before it got too broken up to "steer" anymore. Now instead of one big sheet of foam 1/2" thick, I've got sort of patchy foam 1/4" thick.

It looks to me like the best thing to do is let things settle a little bit, then try to do the skimmer to waste again. I figure if I do this a few times I'll get it down to where maybe the shop-vac will be practical. Anybody know of a better way?

Thanks,

Patrick

You can actually "sweep" the surface of the water with a pool brush. Just brush it toward the skimmer. I do that sometimes when I get a swarm of ants in the pool. Depending on your set-up you might be able to just overflow the pool and float off the scum. That would make a mess on the ground so I don't know if that is practical or not.

Patrick,

You need to get chlorine in the pool.

Read Defeating algae in the Solving Problems section of Pool School.

You will need to post some test results and we will walk/talk you through shocking your pool. That's the only way to get it all the way clear.

Meanwhile, you are doing the right thing by removing as much solid matter as you can.

Arg! The multi-port valve broke

First, the good news... I think I've got almost all the "foam" out through the use of the "waste" setting. The Weir flap on the skimmer was broken (replacement has been ordered) and I realized that if I wedged it in there I got much more efficient removal of the foam. So... now I'm down from a solid layer of foam 3/4" thick to patchy foam no more than 1/8" thick. I think this is progress.

Now the bad news. Went to backwash just now and the handle on the multiport value broke off in my hand.

Now I'm not entirely sure what the best course of action is. The existing filter is a Waterco T500, and I'm starting to realize that it's frankly a piece of junk. However it appears I can buy a recplacement multi-port valve for around $80. However, I hate to throw good money after bad, and I really am convinced that the WaterCo filter is a piece of junk.

Alternatively, I guess I can spring for a new filter. Can anybody offer suggestions on what/how big I should get if I decide to go with a new filter?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.