Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Alum worked... kind of. Suggestions?

1. Back To Top    #1

Alum worked... kind of. Suggestions?

So, I've got a first-class swamp... an 18x34 above-ground pool that was built two years ago and then (due to separation and divorce) neither filtered nor covered nor treated for two years. I've been working on it for about a week--shocking daily, algaecide, got the pH balanced, etc. I went by Leslie's yesterday, and they suggested I try Alum since the water wasn't clearing. So I broadcast 10 lbs. of alum last night and let it sit.

Well, it worked! Kind of. The water is quite clear now, but instead of sinking to the bottom, most of the algae and organic matter seems to have risen to the top as a sort of greenish foam. So I'm no trying to figure out how to get it all out. I tried a shop-vac, which worked really well. However, it only cleared about 1 foot square before filling up. Obviously not practical.

Then I tried setting the filter to "waste" and sort of guiding the foam into the skimmer with the leaf net. This actually worked reasonably well, and I got about half the foam (by volume) out before it got too broken up to "steer" anymore. Now instead of one big sheet of foam 1/2" thick, I've got sort of patchy foam 1/4" thick.

It looks to me like the best thing to do is let things settle a little bit, then try to do the skimmer to waste again. I figure if I do this a few times I'll get it down to where maybe the shop-vac will be practical. Anybody know of a better way?

Thanks,

Patrick
    18x34 AG pool. 150lb. WaterCo Sand filter (2hp pump). Chlorease Chlorine generator.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Alum worked... kind of. Suggestions?

You can actually "sweep" the surface of the water with a pool brush. Just brush it toward the skimmer. I do that sometimes when I get a swarm of ants in the pool. Depending on your set-up you might be able to just overflow the pool and float off the scum. That would make a mess on the ground so I don't know if that is practical or not.
    20' x 40' IG with vinyl liner volume approx. 35,000 gal.1.5 H.P. main pump, Polaris 280 cleaner W/ 3/4 H.P. booster pump
    Hayward sand filter, 3.14 sq ft, 62 gpm. Stenner 45 MPH10 chlorine feed pump. 1 micron final filter bags (home made and very effective)

3. Back To Top    #3

Hi Patrick - I recommend you read this article, it may yield clues as to why your water wasn't clearing up.

Have you read Pool School?

Welcome to the forum.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Patrick,

You need to get chlorine in the pool.

Read Defeating algae in the Solving Problems section of Pool School.

You will need to post some test results and we will walk/talk you through shocking your pool. That's the only way to get it all the way clear.

Meanwhile, you are doing the right thing by removing as much solid matter as you can.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

That Happened to me too, i spashed it with the hose and it sank to the bottom then i vaccumed to waste.
    happy swims
    Frank
    Hello all from the land of smiles. Thailand. 5mx9mx1.5 63000L 16300 gall, pebbletex,
    pentair 1hp whisperflow, tagelus TA60 SF, swg monarch esc24 {a bit small for the tropics} 3 returns, 1 skimmer, 2 astral 100watt lights. Planned and built by me
    an AUSSIE expat living thailand for 18 years.

6. Back To Top    #6

Arg! The multi-port valve broke

First, the good news... I think I've got almost all the "foam" out through the use of the "waste" setting. The Weir flap on the skimmer was broken (replacement has been ordered) and I realized that if I wedged it in there I got much more efficient removal of the foam. So... now I'm down from a solid layer of foam 3/4" thick to patchy foam no more than 1/8" thick. I think this is progress.

Now the bad news. Went to backwash just now and the handle on the multiport value broke off in my hand.

Now I'm not entirely sure what the best course of action is. The existing filter is a Waterco T500, and I'm starting to realize that it's frankly a piece of junk. However it appears I can buy a recplacement multi-port valve for around $80. However, I hate to throw good money after bad, and I really am convinced that the WaterCo filter is a piece of junk.

Alternatively, I guess I can spring for a new filter. Can anybody offer suggestions on what/how big I should get if I decide to go with a new filter?
    18x34 AG pool. 150lb. WaterCo Sand filter (2hp pump). Chlorease Chlorine generator.

7. Back To Top    #7

Please respond to OP's filter question in this post:

newby-needs-advice-on-whether-to-replace-or-repair-t13056.html
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!