Checking in- maintaining FC

May 26, 2016
Lansdale, PA
Hello! I am new to BBB this season--yay! I think I am getting the hang of it, and our water has never been clearer consistently, but I am having trouble figuring out how much bleach to add on a daily basis. I test every day, ok, maybe every other day- sorry. And things come out fine, so I leave it alone. I would like to get into a routine of adding a little bleach each day to maintain, but that has me hung up. I leave it because it's consistent for 2-3 days, but then FC drops off to 1, and I add a decent amount of bleach all at once, according to the chart, then it happens again. I feel like the chlorine runs away when I'm not looking. I've never had a problem with ugly looking water, though. How do I get it to level out and maintain? I'm just trying to see where I stand now. On another note, the water is now really sticky. Anything I can do for that, or is it because I messed something up? Thank you!!! Have a great day!
PH 7.6
FC 12
CC .5
TC 12.5
TA 100
CH 325
CYA 60-70- I couldn't call it!

Are you saying you raise FC to around target (8), it stays at ~8 for a few days and then one day it's 1? That doesn't sound right, that's either testing error or bad reagents.

Maybe it might be good to keep a log of every time you test and add, to make sure you aren't testing less often than you think.

I assume you are using PoolMath for your dosages, correct?

1. Calculate the amount of chlorine it will take to raise your pool 3 ppm.

2. Test your FC (record it) and then add the calculated dosage.

3. Do the same thing the next day

4. Do the same thing the next day and then test....you should be at your original FC + 3ppm (it will vary depending on a lot of factors but this should get you close.

Thanks for helping me. I am confused because when I tested with the small chlorine test kit, I got a reading of about 6. It's so hard to tell! When I did the drop test, I got the 12.5, but it's only my 2nd time with that test. So, yes, it could be my testing errors. I guess I need to test every day at exactly the same time to see what's going on. If CYA is at 60-70, am I supposed to stay at FC 8? That seems so high. I am so pool store trained that 8 seems crazy high. I did take water to pool store to test 2 weeks ago. I had a chlorine reading of 9-10 at home, and they got 3-4. Also, do you test for CYA every day too so you know what your FC should be?
Thanks, and sorry for all of the questions!!

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you! Good advice. I am still no expert with the FC drop test, so I always get concerned that I'm wrong. I hate to base it all off of my test, which could be incorrect.

1. Just use the drop test. The "yellow drops" test isn't accurate enough.

2. Yes, CYA 70 = Target FC of 8.

3. Stay out of the pool store :)

4. CYA shouldn't change that much from day to day if you are using liquid chlorine, I test mine once every week or so, some people go a month. If you have lots of rain or splash-out you might want to check weekly.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.