Help! Aqua critter not working

Jun 13, 2015
Clinton, Utah
I'm trying to find an answer to my problem and have called both Intex and Hayward. Neither can help me!
So, is the Intex sand pump (3,000 gph)strong enough to run the aqua critter? I have a side wall mount Intex skimmer and have tried pulling the hose from the skimmer basket and adding the aqua critter there. I have made sure there is no air in the aqua critter or hoses, but when I turn my pump on, it literally has no suction. Intex said it was because I wasn't using their products (seriously?!) and then she told me it should be big enough to handle the vacuum! I've got sand in the bottom of pool from my hubby not reading directions and I really need to get it out before my daughter's birthday on Saturday! Please help!
We have a Coleman 16'x48" round pool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the same pool and a 2800GPH Intex pump and my Diver Dave runs just fine. However, I cut in a Hayward skimmer so I hook Dave's hose right down into the skimmer. Probably not much help other than a 2800 GPH Intex pump is enough to run it.

Be careful with vacuuming sand with it though, that sand can get in the gears and jam it up. I have had to take mine apart twice to clean out the gear box because it got jammed up trying to vacuum up sand.

28273788132_aaf4944eeb_b.jpg

Both the Diver Dave and the manual vacuum I have hook to the skimmer, not directly to the pump. The Intex cleaner (and other cleaners) can use the pressure side inlet to suck debris into the bottom of the unit instead of back into your sand filter.

I was finally able to get the bug to work!! But-the pump got shut off and now I can't get it to work again. :( the bug sucked up some sand...there seems to be suction so I'll pull it out tonight and check to see if it doesn't have sand stuck somewhere. Apparently this is the wrong time to try and find pool vaccuums at loca stores. :(

When mine quit there was still vacuum at the hole on the bottom but it wouldn't move. I took it apart and cleaned the sand out of everything and it started working again. The small black gear box you should be able to blow through and it will sound like one of those spin up whistle toys. If it doesn't whistle the cover needs taken off it, there are a bunch of small gears so take them out one at a time to be sure you get them back in the right order. Be careful when putting the wheel bearings back in too. There is a key way they sit in, otherwise putting the bottom back on will pinch the bearings and the wheel won't turn.

Just be careful when taking it apart to make sure you get everything back where it belongs. Watch some YouTube videos, all the Hayward internals are the same (Dave, Wanda, etc) just the outside cover is different.

WO tried the Pentaie shark in our 21' X 52" pool. We have wedding cake steps for our granddaughter, and the shark gets in the corner between the bottom step and the wall. Then it just sits there. Does anyone have a better suggestion? Would a robot work better? I was looking at one in the $200 - $300 range. Most of out debris is leaves.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.