What to use for protection under an above-ground pool?

Swenny

Jul 10, 2015
MN
So I've seen a couple of posts about this specific question and it seems like everyone has a different answer. I currently have an 8 mil, 20x20 heavy duty tarp that I was going to use instead of the one that comes with it. But then I see other posts about a Gorilla pad, insulation panels, sand, etc. I have clay dirt if that matters

1. So what would your ideal setup be and why? I'm thinking insulation panels, taped with Gorilla tape at the seams, and then rounded off about 6 inches longer than the diameter of the pool. Maybe put the pool tarp over the insulation? But rectangular panels under a circular pool sounds like a math nightmare, heh

2. Also, if you use pavers under the legs, I assume the height of the pavers should be the same as the insulation panels?

3. Thoughts of what to use around the base to cover up the panels/tarp/etc. to make it look less cluttered?

Thanks everyone for all the help!

Re: What to use for prtoection under an above-ground pool?

When I put in my parents pool 30 years ago which is a still a standing Doughboy pool, I used sand as a base. We have trees all around it so the sand shifted over time as roots from the trees grew under it. This caused divets to form and eventually roots right under the liner. The liner still lasted a good 12 plus years. We finally replaced the liner and used the Gorilla type padding that was bought at a pool store. This is the way to go in my opinion. Very nice and even and no root problems. The pavers should be flush with the ground for the posts not even with the padding. You should also consider the wedge coving for the b0ttom inner edge of the pool. Just my 2 cents :eek:. Good luck! I should note that this was a metal frame pool an Intex may need the pavers set differently.

Re: What to use for prtoection under an above-ground pool?

I bought a used 33 foot round AGP. It had the old liner. I cut the bottom of the old liner out and after I had a level, compacted surface, I laid down the old pool liner, and then sand over the top of that. and then pool and new liner on top of that. Been that way for years now!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.