Testing and balancing

Nursenini

LifeTime Supporter
TFP Guide
Sep 22, 2015
Bixby, Ok
We had complete fill on our Finest Finishes (Gemstone) Radiant Fusion plaster last Friday. I have tested a couple of times but did not add anything as the pool had not been turned over to us until just yesterday. I tested last night but was too late to get any chems to add.

I retested this morning:

Air temp 81
Pool temp 88
Salt cell reading 2998
14800 gallons (based on pool math calculator)

pH 8.2
FC 13
CC 0.5
CH 200
TA 70
CYA aprox 60

According to pool math I need to add 18oz MA, 329oz calcium chloride, and 20oz stabilizer

If I understand what I'm reading correctly, I add the MA to a bucket of water and pour in front of a return (with the pump on high), wait about 15 minutes (?), broadcast the calcium chloride across the deepest part of the pool (in my case the middle), and put the stabilizer in a sock in a skimmer basket.

The stabilizer makes me nervous. I did the CYA test twice. It could be 70 but I'm not 100% certain. I just don't want to overdose on the stabilizer and have to empty any water from the pool to lower it.

That's ALOT of calcium chloride!! I found it at lowes but I didn't buy enough. I only have 80 oz so I'll be heading there shortly to get more.

Had to re-read your post as you say the Salt cell is reading 2998 but in your signature there's no mention of having a SWCG :confused:
You'd be good in the 70-80 range. It's good to do a little second guessing but in the end you need to trust yourself. If you wanted to be overly safe and conservative you can always add the stabilizer in two parts, testing before you add the second half.

"If I understand what I'm reading correctly, I add the MA to a bucket of water and pour in front of a return (with the pump on high), wait about 15 minutes (?), broadcast the calcium chloride across the deepest part of the pool (in my case the middle), and put the stabilizer in a sock in a skimmer basket. "

Yes (15 to 30min), yes and yes. I'd give it 15 before adding a second chemical but 30 to make sure it's mixed before re-testing.

If you knead the sock you'll get the stabilizer to dissolve a lot faster. Just depends on if you're in a hurry or you have a bad case of OCD like me. Either way you should still give it about a week after the sock is empty before retesting. ;)

Attachments

• Stabilizer CYA Swimming pool add using sock 1 sm.jpg
    Stabilizer CYA Swimming pool add using sock 1 sm.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 42
  • Stabilizer CYA Swimming pool add using sock 2 sm.jpg
    Stabilizer CYA Swimming pool add using sock 2 sm.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 43
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.