Sand pump...there is sand in my pool!

Jun 13, 2015
Clinton, Utah
Help! Last night my husband installed our sand pump.....he failed to read instructions, and had put the pump on recirculate (not even sure what that does)! Either way, there is now a bunch of sand in my pool! I don't know what to do or how to get it out! We have my daughter's birthday in 2 days and this just adds to the giant list of things I have to get done!
We do have an aqua critter that I haven't used yet....will the bug clean it out? I haven't used it because I don't really know how to hook it up to our side wall mount skimmer basket. All help greatly appreciated!!

He didn't read the instructions? I find that hard to believe. We ALWAYS read the instructions and ask for directions when we're lost. :p Okay, sand got into the pool. Not the worse thing as long as it's not still blowing into the pool. Sometimes when a new filter is set-up, a little sand may get by and blown in. If it continues to push sand into the pool, the one of the laterals inside the filter may have been damaged during installation or sand filling.

For sand that is in there now, you can simply manually vacuum the sand. It shouldn't be a problem. I don't have an Aqua Critter so I'm not familiar with their suction strength. Also, make sure to always shut-off the pump when moving the multiport valve to a new position, and always turn the valve in the same direction as time goes on. Hope that helps. Let us know f you have anymore questions.

Thank you! So, a little embarrassed to say this, but we don't have a manual vacuum. I'm headed to Walmart right now to see what I can do as I don't really have time to wait for one in order. Do they hook directly into the pump somehow?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A manual vacuum should have a length of hose that will connect to your skimmer - either directly into the skimmer hole or against a side-wall hose connection to the skimmer. You might want to measure those spots before you go shopping to ensure you get the correct diameter vacuum hose. Maybe snap a pic or two and take with you to show the clerk if needed.

I actually got my little aqua big to work and it was dong a great job! Except....there is still sand pouring into my pool! Not a ton, but it's make a little pile nonetheless. Is there anything I can try before deciding if it's the laterals? Is there a way to check the laterals without removing the sand?

Unfortunately no. If a lateral is broke or became separated from the center stand pipe while the sand was being poured-in, the only way to confirm is to remove the sand and look at the laterals. I didn't mention earlier because your filter is so new, but a bad multiport vale (or spider gasket) could cause similar problems. But given your system is new, I'm thinking it's the laterals or perhaps the type of sand. It should have been #20 silica sand made for pools. You might want to double-check that as well. :)

I back washed again and rinsed really well and so far, I seen anymore sand. I'm gonna let it run for a few hours to be sure. We are using industrial Quartz (silica sand). We were told that was sufficient to use? Perhaps not?

Update: We pulled everything apart and there were no cracks in the laterals. There was one that was loose though. However, we tried to backward after we put everything back in and we ran in for a long time and still had sand in the little viewer bulb and in the drain water. [emoji22]
Soooo.....I turned it off for the night and walked away.
We purchased industrial Quartz from lowes, but I noticed that it says various grades. Could our sand just be too fine? If so, I will drive all the way out to the pool store to get what I need. I can't seem to find it anywhere else!

Sand for sand pump going into pool.

We bought a sand pump. It has been spitting sand back into our pool. Pulled it apart and checked all the laterals. One was a little loose. Put sand back in, but we can't get the backwash to run clear no matter how long we let it run.
The sand we purchased was industrial Quartz. The bag says various grades. Could it be the sand? This is what we were told to buy, but now I'm wondering if it isn't too fine?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Re: Sand for sand pump going into pool.

Various grades means they did not sort the grains for size. You should use sand labeled as pool sand or #20 grade silica sand. You will need to replace the sand. Was the store where you bought the pool the one that recommended the sand?

Okay thank you!
Wen replaced the sand with sand from the pool store, and we still could not get it to stop. I finally ordered a replacement and we put it together and followed all instructions word for word, and we back washed and back washed waiting for the sand to clear from the little tube until our water was too low and we are now filling up our pool again! That will be a fun water bill! [emoji51] Should it really be taking this much water to get all the sand out? It's almost out, but we had to stop to add more water to our pool. What are we doing wrong?![emoji22]

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.